boiling all grain split batch HELP?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldesign

Reaction score
I have a large pot but the bottom surface area is too large to heat up on my glass top stove and I've tried it and it is way too long straight 5.5 gallon filled. I want to do all grain inside but fear I can't get a boil.

I guess I could fill the big pot with about 4 gallons then a smaller 2 gallon till the smaller boils then combine in hopes to speed up boil in the larger one? will combining the 1 boiling to one not boiling cause any oxidation before first hop addition?

anyone have any ideas on method or madness on this... much appreciated on any ideas to fix the situation without a turkey fryer or larger stove. wife allows this and the great stink of grains but I can only push so far friends.

also my smaller 5 gallon is SS the larger is aluminum does one conduct heat faster maybe a larger SS pot with the smaller bottom diameter can help?

thanks for any input I'm slowly approaching my first AG!

Are you not interested in getting a turkey fryer? It is much easier and will cost you less money when you compare propane to your electric bill. And turkey fryers are really not that expensive and worth the investment. And also when you switch to AG it will definitely help with heating your sparge water and mash water.

Do you have enough room for both pots? I use two 5 gal pots, each with 3.5 - 4 gals in them. I'm using an open electric stove though, so I'm not sure if you're glass top range would put out the same heat.

jldesign said:
I have a large pot but the bottom surface area is too large to heat up on my glass top stove and I've tried it and it is way too long straight 5.5 gallon filled. I want to do all grain inside but fear I can't get a boil.
I've got a ceramic stove top, and I was really pushing it to get a decent boil going with much over 3 gallons...and that was on the big burner. The glass stove tops just aren't good for making beer. :eek:

on my many extract partial mash batches - I usually got 2 gallons boiling (plain water in the 5 gallon pot) then steaped some specialty grains or did small mini-mash in another pot then added that to the 2 gallons on boil which would get me 4+ gallons to a boil in 10-15 minutes which was perfect.

I'm going to look at getting a slightly larger SS pot and getting the first mash going in the large pot to boil while sparging the second half into a smaller pot and rolling that up to a boil and adding it to the larger from that point I think I can get my temp up where I can keep it going wihtout going max on the range.

*****do I have to worry about any HOT wort oxidation or anything?****

I have 2 dogs and people milling around outside all the time and I just don't have the space to safely do it IMO (I would in a heartbeat if I could)

Latest posts

Back