Post Oak Porter Video - I need feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two small comments: 1. The flashing effects of the text and the logo are a little annoying, and 2. Not everyone one know what "all-grain" is, and might be confused ("isn't ALL beer made of grain?" :confused: )
Otherwise very nice video. Looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it. Good luck with your project (and beer!)

Not enough to grab the viewer during the first 10 seconds ... to much time for the viewer to surf away. Intro needs more grab, more interest.

Instead of the wood wall, you might use the side of a barrel, start in tight and have the loud sound of repeated strikes of a mallet on wood - with no music.
As the camera pulls back, at around the 10 second mark the viewer sees it is actually the side of a wooden beer barrel ... and the sound is coming from a wooden tap being malleted in.
The arms & hand malletting it in has long sleeves, collared button-down shirt ... shirt color = "worn workshirt blue" or natural off white ... with the cuffs rolled up above the wrist ... and if the front (below the face) of the craftsman is shown, the shirt is buttoned all the way up to the neck, and possibly an apron (like a millers apron).

This “mystery close-up with impact sound” is ala the first 30 seconds or so of “All the Presidents Men”. View that segment in that movie for the impact I am talking about.

Once the camera pulls back and the viewer sees it is a barrel with a tap being malleted in, then the barrel is tipped toward the camera so the top end with the tap is facing ... and there above the tap appears the logo.

Too foreboding on the music too. You have to ask what effect you are trying to achieve. Jaws?
I’d look at something that sounds a bit more “Early American’ish”.
NOT that I’m suggesting to use it, but to get the flavor, play “Ashokan Farewell” behind your intro.

For an example of a promo that comes on strong right out the gate, captures the viewer, and is well balanced, check out Gallo Wine’s beautiful and legendary commercial from 1986 which uses the music “Hymne” by Vangelis.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q5nNv29ne3g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

They made hay while the sun shone with that Vangelis song. It was used in other Gallo commercials of the period. Check out the wedding one too from 1986 (if it does not present at the end of the video I embedded, you might have to go to youtube to see it.)

In your vid, the text on the screen is fine ... but, as boist noted, the text &#8220;all grain brew&#8221; is too jargon&#8217;ish. I&#8217;d lose the "all grain" text ... show the hand and the grain ... but a rolled up sleeve (rolled up to above the wrist) on the hand for a sort of craftsman&#8217;ish look ... and include some nice hops cones laying on the surface of the grain behind where the hand picks up.

You need to figure out what concept your product is going to &#8220;own&#8221;. Danger? Taste? Craftsmanship? High-tech? Tradition? ...

Personally, and particularly with the scene with the hand and the grain, I&#8217;d go for &#8220;Craftsmanship&#8221; and drop the "foreboding" or &#8220;danger&#8221; aspect.

The music now, in and of itself says foreboding or danger. If you are going to stick with that music score, then you ought to put a short clip of a wolf walking and then standing proud, in the snow, who turns to look at the camera. This could be a straight clip or as a video that is a watermark (faded into the background).
This could also be done similarly to the intro as I described above with the keg ... but maybe the tight shot (the &#8220;mystery&#8221; opening view) is snow or a snow storm ... then the wolf ... etc.

That song "Ashokan Farewell" that I mentioned above was the song from Ken Burns Civil War documentary. In case you are not familiar with it, here is a video of Jay Unger (who wrote the song) and the great Scottish fiddler Aly Bain doing a version of the song on the TV series "Transatlantic Sessions". While this version is a little slower than others, it gives you an idea of that song anyway. (might be a bit slow for your commercial, but you get the idea anyway)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vN_ZKB_Hdbo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back