Cold drop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ljbeer

Reaction score
I am fermenting a pale ale and have had it at steady 20 degress. But due to cold night it has dropped to 16, have moved to a warmer spot to try and get a few degrees back into it. Will this fluctuation do anything negative to my beer?

I am fermenting a pale ale and have had it at steady 20 degress. But due to cold night it has dropped to 16, have moved to a warmer spot to try and get a few degrees back into it. Will this fluctuation do anything negative to my beer?

Ok, he's not a "Yank". Had me there with those low temps for a minute :mug:

Its only coming late into the second day of brewing. Has gone up to 18 dergrees now and trying to get it back to its original 20. In tasmania so its hard to keep warm and heater is in ginger beer currently!

Try doing what I do-put an old,fleece lined coat around the FV. It helps keep temps more stable. Works great for me.

just fyi, we use farenheit around these parts *spitoon*

you should be fine! hope it comes out well

He's saying it held steady at 69F (20C). Then dropped down to 66F (16C),then went back up to 68F (18C). Hope that translation clears things up a bit. Just wrap'er up,m8. She'll love ya for it!

He's saying it held steady at 69F (20C). Then dropped down to 66F (16C),then went back up to 68F (18C). Hope that translation clears things up a bit. Just wrap'er up,m8. She'll love ya for it!

More like....(20C-68F) (16C-61F) (18C-65F)......just sayin

Ljbeer, the only effect that that cold swing will do is extend the time of fermentation... as everyone was saying RDWHWHB.

BTW, hope your autumn is going better than our spring here.

More like....(20C-68F) (16C-61F) (18C-65F)......just sayin

Well,according to a down load I did on metricconversioncharts.org,it shows a scale with F on one side,C on the other. 20C is 69F,you're close on the 16C one. Looks like 60.5F or so. I had to look closer to get that 16C & 18C. Guess I need day light instead of dark...not to mention new glasses.?...I know they call it "old eyes",but geez. I only got 1 out of 3...

Back