condensation in chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed_

Reaction score
So I've converted a 20 cu ft chest freezer into a fermentation chamber but I keep getting moisture condensing on the sides and bottom of the thing. Anyone have any easy home remedies for the problem other than a crap load of rice?

Excessive condensation is usually caused by an air leak somewhere and more than likely it's a problem with the lid gasket. It only takes a tiny pinhole air leak to create problems. Other than that, high ambient humidity coupled with frequently opening the freezer might be the main problem. Some minor condensation is to be expected. One of the calcium chloride based chemical dehumidifiers such as Damp Rid or the like can help mitigate the problem.

Damp rid and a pc fan and problem solved. speaking from experiance

google (flower drying silica gel). It can usually be found locally at a hardware or hobby store. It has crystals that turn color and you recycle by heating in oven or microwave. Mine have blue crystals that turn pink when it needs changed out. I bought one pack, split it into two containers and swap them out when I change kegs. I heat the other, then store it in an air tight container till I need it.

Latest posts

Back