Please criique my English Mild/Brown Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdauber64

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first time coming up with a recipe myself so please be honest if you think this will work. I'm hoping for a English Mild/Brown ale with good mouthfeel and a nice strong malty coffee flavor.

7 lbs. Marris Otter
1 lbs. Crisp Brown Malt
.75 lbs. Kiln coffee malt
.5 lbs English Medium Crystal
.5 lbs Chocolate Malt
.25.lbs Briess Midnight Wheat

1 oz. Kent Golding (45 min.)

Yeast: Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite

What do you think? Thanks for any feedback!

Nice to see someone brewing an English mild/brown ale for a change!

Your recipe looks 'ok', though I have a few suggestions. First, I would drop the kiln coffee malt entirely. You'll get more coffee flavor form the brown and chocolate malts alone and the kiln coffee stuff can be very overpowering in a beer like this. Think burnt sugar/marshmallow. Secondly, I would drop the midnight wheat for an equal amount of english dark crystal, 90L up to 150L, to add some complexity and help balance the roast. Other than that, I would use a more characterful English yeast... 1450 is really too neutral in flavor for English style beers and with a mash temp around 154-156F and low-ish attenuating yeast, you'll get plenty of mouthfeel. Wyeast 1318 is possibly the best yeast for english milds and wy1968 makes a great beer too. wy1028 is nice too. Lastly, why the 45 min boil instead of a 60 min boil? - use less hops if your worried about the IBU being too high.

Good luck with the brew.

Back