CO2 tank size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIONS_FAN2539

Reaction score
what do different size tanks yield? for example how many cornys will a 5lb.
10lb and 20lb. last?

LIONS_FAN2539 said:
what do different size tanks yield? for example how many cornys will a 5lb.
10lb and 20lb. last?
Even the small 5lb tank will serve a lot of cornies - but it depends on if you are using them to carb the beer, or if you are just going to dispense the beer. Obviously if you just dispense the beer with the tank, they will last much longer.

Even carbonating & dispensing 5 gallons of soda water (30 psi) a week, a 5 lb. tank lasts me for a couple months. That's in addition to dispensing ale.

I dont have an exact number, but I brew btw 8 and 10 batches a year (I know...how do I survive). I have a 20 lb tank and I had it filled about 4 years ago. I have no idea how much I have left nor do I have any idea how much I've used. All I know is that it has lasted for at least 30 kegs and probably more like 35. If you have space for it, definitely go for the 20 lb. If you have the money for it, get an extra 5 lb as a backup for when your 20 lb goes empty. Nothing worse than having guests over for homebrew and then running the CO2 empty. You can serve for a while longer...but eventually you are screwed. I hope to get a backup soon.

i'm of the mantra: bigger is better

get as big as you can buy and move around easily enough, and like the above poster suggested, get multiple tanks. this will help to prevent any beer emergencies

and as others have mentioned, check for leaks periodically, as one can crop up over time, and one leak can go through an entire tank of co2 very quickly.

how much and how quickly do you brew beer? if not that much, then smaller tanks will suffice, but if you brew often, i would definitely recommend what i said in the previous paragraphs.

I have used the same 5 lb tank for almost a year without refilling. Not sure how much beer it has pushed, but most likely around 80 gallons.

my gas supplier offered to upgrade me to a 20 lb. for a few bucks, and the fill is 4 dollars more than a 5. gnef, im new to kegging, and so far ive been using it to carb with. ive read post about priming one and was going to try it . how do the more experienced guys do it?

Here's something to consider that nobody's posted and you my not have the same situation.

my supplier charges the same price to fill a 5# and 10 #

But my 10 # + reg doesn't fit into my fridge unless less I turn the regulator dials face up which makes it difficult to read ( only a mild annoyance).

I thinking about getting a 2.5# tank so it takes up less room and use it exclusively for dispensing.

I guess I could drill a couple of holes in the side of the fridge.

abracadabra said:
I guess I could drill a couple of holes in the side of the fridge.

That's really the best option. Just make sure to use a bulkhead. Either build one or AHS has one for like 10 bucks. You also have the advantage of being able to use a splitter - one to feed your fridge and one for force carbing kegs that are on deck.

...and, if you have a beer gun, it helps with that too

I own a 20# and despite a few occasions where my lines developed leakes, it seems to never run out. I have pumped 25+ regular Sankey 1/2 barrel kegs with this tank on one fill.

rdwj said:
That's really the best option. Just make sure to use a bulkhead. Either build one or AHS has one for like 10 bucks. You also have the advantage of being able to use a splitter - one to feed your fridge and one for force carbing kegs that are on deck.

...and, if you have a beer gun, it helps with that too

I think you are probably right but who is AHS?

went with a 20lb all tucked outa sight(hole in fridge already) its the cats/meow.
being new to kegging *(obvious)* could explain bulkhead and the splitters and carbing outside the fridge. thanks

Back