Where's the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

othevad

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I just started yeast washing and have some of my previous eng. ale strain in mason jars in the fridge from about a month ago.
I'm going to make a starter with this stuff in an hour or so and I want to ask a stupid question: Is the dormant yeast in my mason jar in the trub on the bottom of the jar or in the liquid on top of the trub. If it's one or the other should I pitch ONLY the liquid, or only the trub into my cooled wort to make a starter? or both?
duh =D

I'm new to yeast washing and starters, I have my first sitting in a mason jar in the fridge as well. From what I know and have done, after multiple times decanting and washing, there would be three layers in your jar. The middle layer is the yeast you want. The top clear layer is basically wort and the bottom is trub. Decant the top clear layer off and pour most of the middle into a starter without disturbing the trub and you should be good to go. Hope this helps!

Back