Rehydrating two packets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKlong

Reaction score
Double the yeast so double the water in a single bag/bowl? I just picked up Palmer's book, and it says the best way to do it, but doesn't talk about pitching double.

how much wort are you pitching into, 10 gallons? or is it a really high gravity?

you could double the water. i find a wide container is better than a cup, you get less clumping. good call re hydrating for the high gravity.

Palmer says one cup, but doesn't say how much yeast that is for. So I assume it's one package, and if I use that same amount of water for double the amount, I may get some clumping that he talks about avoiding.

Palmer says one cup, but doesn't say how much yeast that is for. So I assume it's one package, and if I use that same amount of water for double the amount, I may get some clumping that he talks about avoiding.

one cup is a lot for a packet of yeast. i think i use about 1/3 of a cup or less but i've never measured it. the clumping is not really too big a deal, you have 300 billion yeast per pack so there will be plenty to ferment your beer.

A packet of yeast will absorb a few ml of water, max. A cup of water is plenty for a couple ounces of yeast. Watched the local pizza guy do it on several occasions.

don't the yeast companies specify a certain amount of water so that the osmotic pressure does not somehow kill the yeast? i have no clue about this i just remember reading something about this long ago. in any event, OP, you are sure to make a good beer no matter what quantity of water you use, most times i just dump it in without re-hydrating and it takes off by the next morning.

EDIT:

just found the info i was referring to.

http://www.danstaryeast.com/articles/dry-yeast-rehydration-conditions

don't the yeast companies specify a certain amount of water so that the osmotic pressure does not somehow kill the yeast? i have no clue about this i just remember reading something about this long ago. in any event, OP, you are sure to make a good beer no matter what quantity of water you use, most times i just dump it in without re-hydrating and it takes off by the next morning.

EDIT:

just found the info i was referring to.

http://www.danstaryeast.com/articles/dry-yeast-rehydration-conditions

No, they just recommend not using distilled water. Osmotic pressure comes from the ion concentration or lack thereof in the water. You could technically rehydrate yeast in as much water as you wanted, as long as it wasn't distilled. Tap water has enough dissolved solids to not bother the yeast so much.

I missed these replies somehow. Good info for the future though.

I went with two cups of water last night, and ended up pitching around 1am. At 8am there was barely a break between the bubbles.

Back