Double check me before I brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derogg

Reaction score
Hey all,

I want to brew a hefeweizen. Can someone check my calcs before I start?

5 gallon batch

5# German Pilsner
5# German wheat
1 oz HALLERTAU HERSBRUCKER Pellets
WL 380 hefe weizen IV yeast

Strike with 10 q at 169 F to mash for 60 minutes at 152 F
Batch sparge twice with 10q at 170 F or until I have About 6 gallons in my brew pot. Any suggestions? Thanks - Dirk :mug:

Looks like it will work. If you have rice hulls, use them. Hefeweizen's a nice batch to do either a step-mash or a decoction on, too, but that's your call. Not sure tha AA% of the Hallertau, but most IBUs (15-20) is right. The calcs looks fine at first glance, although I collect more wort than that in my pot because my evaporation rate is pretty high; not sure how your system is set up, but it's nice to end with about 5.5 gallons post-boil, so you could probably get away with a little bit more sparging.

Looks nice, surely use some rice hulls I used a pound and had no problems. I usually need at least 7 gallons to get 5.5 post boil.

The hops is 3.2% AA . I agree that I should probably collect a bit more volume for the boil, I may have to boil in two pots so that I don't have a boil over. If I do I will have to recalculate the hop rate?? Thanks Dirk

Back