New Brewer in Lancaster PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcreveli

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am hobbyist baker and caner. I make a variety of breads and pickles and have decided to venture into home brewing. Below is my story combined with a mini review of local home shops

After several years of saying "I really want to try and brew my own beer" Not 1 but 2 homebrew supply stores opened within 30 minutes of my house. Both are well stocked in supplies (Not sure about gear, I'm to new) Both have knowledgeable, polite and outgoing staff. At both store I heard the person behind the counter end the transaction with "Do you have any other questions?" and the prices at both places are darn close the each other.

So I decided If I wanted to brew I had better take that Christmas bonus and get what I needed.

I planned on buying everything at "Lancaster Homebrew". The reason I made this decision is that one of the employee/owners Marty spent almost an hour talking with me when I visited there store a few months back. We discussed equipment,books, ingredients, anything I asked he either could answer or would help me find the answer. That being said a new store opened up a month ago and I had to pass it on my way to the other and if the prices were drastically different I would have to rethink my plan.

Turns out the price difference were minor and Shane seemed as knowledgeable and enthusiastic as Marty. I didn't keep him to long since it was unlikely I would be buying from him today but, I will be giving them a lot of money in ingredients in the future. I can't remember if the name was Mr. Steve's or Mr. scotty's I will check.

So I bought the Intermediate kit with a glass carboy and a few other upgrades as well as the ingredients to make a Cherry wheat ale.

I would love to make my first batch on this snowy day but, If there is one thing I learned from canning it's that I need to be really organized and really clean to do something like this, which right now I'm not. So I'm hoping to brew my first bacth on Christmas eve.

Sorry for the long first post.

Ray

Damn another one, close the door your letting in the cold air down here:D

Just kidding - Greetings and all that stuff why not pull up a chair and have a brew or 2:tank:

Welcome to HBT - you're going to find there's a few central PA guys already on board here. I think they'll be able to give you some real good pointers for your local area. If you look to the bottom of this page - you'll see a "similar threads" list that will give you info on a Lancaster PA homebrew club.

Good luck & good brewing.

Welcome, Ray! It sounds like you are doing your homework before beginning, and that's a plus! Best of luck!

Welcome to HBT Ray, sounds like you have a great base to start off with. The bread/yeast and caning/sanitation experience you have acquired should shorten the learning curve. Not to mention two good LHBS.

Cheers...

Welcome. I'm in e-town. the name of the other shop is mr steve's. They also have a shop in york by the galleria if you're ever over there.

Welcome from another lancaster native . . .as others have mentioned there are quite a few of us from southeastern pa and quite a few from the lancaster area in particular. Your background in canning and baking will definitely come in handy. . . just knowing how to keep things clean and follow a basic recipe is huge and knowing how to organize your process. Sounds like you are doing your homework and taking your time in getting started. . . I have no doubt your first batch will be a success! Welcome to the obsession.

Welcome aboard! I am just down the road from lancaster in chester county.

Back