Fermentation without any activity??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
So this is kinda weird (for me anyway)...

I started a brew a week ago sunday... everything went well except that I missed my final volume because I didn't properly calculate my boil off. So I had to add water to make final. I pitched my ringwood 1187 starter after topping off.

Anyway, I took a reading after adding water... came in way lower than expected but since it wasn't a full boil, I kinda expected that. Pre-boil numbers were dead on so I'm assuming I came close at least. Measured grav after adding water was 1040.

Here's where the oddity comes in... I had no bubbler activity what so ever. I used the cap and tube because I wasn't sure about blow-off... but I've used this on the past couple of brews and always have decent bubbling after a day or so. This time... nothing.

I was nervous that I had a non-starter there but resisted the desire to pull the top and check as I wanted to give it enough time to do something if it was going to do something.

Pulled the top tonight and pulled a sample (so we're in 8 days at this point) and I'm already down to 1010... which is great. So no problem really just the crazyness of fermentation without any co2 release.

So with all of that... is that normal? I mean it wasn't like I didn't check closely. I'd spend a few minutes out there with the thing a couple times a day to see if I hear or saw any bubbles and nothing. By all accounts, it seems as though it fermented without any co2 blowoff.

Guess I"m just wondering if y'all have experienced this. Obviously my fermentation is going well so I'm not worried... just thought it was pretty weird to not have any bubbler activity.

:mug:

I think you probably did have CO2 release, it just escaped through a very tiny little leak somewhere - maybe around the cap?

I guarantee you had CO2 released. There are many variables that determine the rate at which yeast works. If the temperature and pitch rate are high, a low gravity beer could ferment out over night.

Oh yeah, and what Pappers said, you probably had a leak.

Back