Liquid yeast through the mail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSunshine

Reaction score
So I was thinking about making an order to Midwest Brewing and one of the items in my order is liquid yeast (WL570). After doing some searching, there's some debate as to whether or not you should buy liquid yeast through the mail. Does anyone know if Midwest ships their yeast with ice packs? My LHBS doesn't have this yeast in stock currently either. Any recommendations?

Most places let you order an ice pack to come with for an extra dollar or so. I've received liquid yeast in the mail without it, using standard shipping several times. Although not ideal I bet, I've never had an issue with the yeast dying or being slow to start or anything even in the middle of summer.

I don't bother with ice packs. During winter, the yeast stays cold enough anyway. During summer, they melt within a few minutes in a hot delivery truck.

I get my yeast in the mail all the time (well 90%). I'm in Wisconsin so the only time I am concerned is the summer and I get tan ice pack that probably lasts one day anyway. Since I always (100%) make a starter it's never been a problem in 47 batches.

I've brewed 30+ batches of beer and 90% of them have been made with liquid Wyeast and 100% of them have been purchased via UPS and FedEx. Never got a bad packet of yeast and 100% of the batches turned out A.O.K.

This is another case of someone's "opinion" making homebrewing more complicated than it needs to be.

Back during the days of Henry VIII, there was a particular style of beer that was brewed in England. The strain of yeast used to make that beer had become lost to antiquity and hence that style of beer was also lost. During the 1980's, a sunken british warship was discovered in the English Channel. On board this sunken ship was found several corked and unbroken beer bottles of this very same beer that had been lost. They took the bottles back to a lab and lo and behold...the yeast was still alive. 500 years on the bottom of the English channel in freezing cold and that yeast had survived in those bottles! They took cultures of that yeast, incubated it and now that type of beer is once again made in London. This was a story that I heard on Paul Harvey about 15 years ago and so I don't know all of the specifics. Sorry. Maybe you can Google it. My point is that yeast is one tough hombre!! It can handle a hell of a lot more than UPS, USPS or FedEx can throw at it.

BTW; As I'm writing this, UPS has just dropped my latest order at the front door! Gee......hope my yeast is o.k. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding. It's just really ironic.

Shipping from Minneapolis to Pittsburgh in February, and you want ice packs?

In the middle of the summer, that could be a good idea, but at this time of the year, it's not necessary.

-a.

Had a delivery from Northern Brewer today, felt like everything was frozen.

No Ice packs needed. I've done it in summer with no ice packs and had no ill effects.

Back