manifold question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I soldered mine, I gather from posts that most guys don't. I've never had a problem keeping mine clean but I also drilled, I didn't use slots so I imagine I get a lot less grain matter in mine.

If you don't have access to a drill press I'm not sure I'd want to try it. I rigged up a little jig on my drill press to help with mine and it was still a bit of a pain.

I drilled mine, used a cordless. Kind of a pain but not much of a big deal.
I soldered at the 4 elbows, allowing the middle pipes to be removed for cleaning.

saskman said:
are you drilling into 1 side or through the pipe completely?
Just one side as stated above. You want your holes at the lowest part of the tun. That way you can pull as much wort as possible.

bradsul,

Do you have a pic of the manifold you can share with us? I would like to see what it looks like.....

- WW

I've got this one in my gallery, I can take a picture of the underside if you want to see the holes as well.

5408-mlt_manifold.jpg

Don't sweat the joints. No need. You want to dry fit so that you can disassemble and clean.

Mine is dry fitted and is still stuck together like glue.

I use slots, cut with a hack saw. You always want your holes or slots on the underside of your manifold to prevent clogging.

Manifold_Unfiltered.JPG

saskman said:
so its best to drill the holes on the underside? I dry fitted the manifold and she looks good!!!!
Yes on the bottom. If you put them on the sides or on the top, you will break your syphon at the level of the holes and leave a lot of wort in the tun.

I put mine on the sides with no problem. Doesn't leave much wort behind, and if you batch or double batch it isn't much of an issue anyway. I use steam to heat through this manifold so I didn't want the slits facing down. No plugging problems with grain either.

Back