Comments on Igloo Cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Works great for me. No spigot, so you have to be willing to drill a hole in it.

I've done probably 15 batches in it and have had no problems with it deforming. We'll find out in a few years if it's poisoning me! :drunk:

i've got that cooler for an MLT. it works fine for the most part but if you're doing a batch with a relatively small grain bill, you will have problems keeping your target temp for the whole 60 minutes. i drilled holes in the lid and sprayed in expanding foam insulation, covered the entire cooler in reflective insulation, and cut out a piece of styro insulation that fits inside the cooler to hold in heat and that has essentially eliminated the temp loss problem. once i added water at around 190 deg and i could hear some serious creaking inside the cooler, but it's fine.

That's the same one I use, works great. Theres a small recess where a spigot should go. I think it works great and a nice size to.

I have one that's almost the same, but mine had a spigot. I pulled out the spigot and installed a ball valve, used 1/2" braid, and then changed that out for the 3/4" braid. Works well, the top gets pretty warm when I'm mashing, but I throw a blanket over the top, no worries.

Works great for me. No spigot, so you have to be willing to drill a hole in it.

I've done probably 15 batches in it and have had no problems with it deforming. We'll find out in a few years if it's poisoning me! :drunk:

Pretty much exactly this for me as well. I find mine holds mash temps pretty well. I put a brass ball valve on mine and circular SS braid configuration.

Back