Strange white specks in brew? -with pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey

Reaction score
Hello, I have read this forum quite a bit lately and really appreciate the information. I am posting for the first time with a question regarding my first brew.

As of day 5 in the primary fermentation chamber (glass carboy) my brew has produced tiny white specks floating on the top around the inside wall of the carboy.
The brew was a very simple first time experience: malt extract with corn sugar and 1oz of hops.

What are these small white specks? What can be done, should I filter this out when I bottle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks
:mug:

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/1647/whitespecks.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7858/whitespecks2.jpg - This second photo shows a white box around some of the white specks, above the white box is some of the foam/film residue left over from the first few days of fermentation

I can't really see anything in those pictures, but what you are describing sounds like yeast flocculating as fermentation slows down. Should be fine....does it smell/taste infected?

I can't really see anything in those pictures, but what you are describing sounds like yeast flocculating as fermentation slows down. Should be fine....does it smell/taste infected?
Looks like yeast to me. I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Usually from what I've seen on here, infections show up on the very top of the surface and if left alone grow to form a skim.

While fermenting you'll see all kinds of specks and chunks churning around. It's still early.

5 days is nothing. Give it 2 weeks and it should really start clearing out. When you syphon to your secondary or bottling bucket just avoid the sides and surface, and you'll be fine.

Remember that this is a natural process and it's natural not to be perfectly clear. Those flecks shouldn't hurt you a bit and will likely settle or get filtered out before it ever touches your lips. If not, just pick them out of your teeth and keep drinking!

:D

Back