help me fix my pubs guiness tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
My local pub has guiness on tap. And every time they pour a pint it comes out all foam and it takes five mins to settle before they can finish pouring the pint. I was concidering offering to fix it. but want to make sure i know what i'm doing first. i figure its either the head pressure on the keg is too high or the beer line is too short, correct? the tap stays foamy all night so i don't think its a temperature thing.

It could also be the line. 3/16th's offers great resistance and less foam over 3/8th's line. It's a matter of balancing pressure and resistance over a given length and diameter of line aswell as temperature.

a guinness tap is suposed to foam. there is a restrictor in the spout of the tap that causes the beer to degas as it goes through it and therefor makes it foam. i have 2 of these on my kegerator and they do they same thing which is not a problem for what they are.

a guinness tap is suposed to foam. there is a restrictor in the spout of the tap that causes the beer to degas as it goes through it and therefor makes it foam. i have 2 of these on my kegerator and they do they same thing which is not a problem for what they are.

Do you have it hooked up to beer gas? It shouldn't foam much.

[youtube]d15lJn1r0Mk[/youtube]

EH its a dirty local pub. you take what you can get. I just don't like waiting 10 mins for the beer. there is normal guiness wait, then there is this place.

It would be hard to fix without knowing what is going on in there in the first place. You need to know the length and diameter of the feed hose. Hopefully they have a co2/nitrogen gas mix and not just co2. So you need to know that. What psi are they driving with and is the line refrigerated? You'll need to nail down these variables before you can try to figure it out.

Back