Curious about HB names

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
I see a lot of interesting names given to homebrews and it made me curious.
Are you guys naming beer that you've made your own recipe for, possibly AG brews or are you just naming whatever you brew at home?
If you pick up an amber ale kit for instance, after brewing it "according to the kit instructions," are you naming it? I would think it already had a name, say "Coopers Amber Ale." It's their recipe. Or what about a clone, which I'm sure isn't actually a clone if you don't have the original brewers exact recipe.

Or are you only naming brews that you made up your self or changed the recipe in some way.
I have done two "kits" but want them to have my own catchy name:D
But one is a recipe from my LHBS (partial grain) and the other is a pure extract.

Screw it, I'm naming everything:rockin:

Tommy

The fact is that 2 people can take the same 'kit' or 'recipie' and make it according to the same instructions and end up with different brews because each uses their own idosycratic processes, water, conditioning temps and other unique things that impact the beer's final flavor.

Each batch of beer you make is completely and totally yours, regardless of where the ingredients, recipe or inspriation came from. Name it, put a pretty label on it, pour it out on the back stoop, do whatever you want-- it is yours.

I sometimes name mine based on the annoying weatehr conditions at the time of brewing. Like last week when there was thunder and this week tha damn high winds. Haven't finalized the too names yet but they will be based on those.

My neighbor was joking about my sore foot and said I should soak it in the mash and I thought "Hmm, Dirty Foot Brewing Co?" :)

So far, I've just brewed kits taking very few liberties to change the instructions/recipe, and I call them by what the kit says. I just feel weird giving them a name of my own if I didn't have a hand somewhere in the ingredients column, but that's just me.

Cheers!
-Rick

Primary: Honey Amber Ale
Secondary #1: Oatmeal Stout
Secondary #2: empty
Bottled/Aging: Octane IPA
Bottled/Drinking: American Amber Ale

joker_x said:
So far, I've just brewed kits taking very few liberties to change the instructions/recipe, and I call them by what the kit says. I just feel weird giving them a name of my own if I didn't have a hand somewhere in the ingredients column, but that's just me.
Ale

The recipe may be "thiers" but the batch is yours. Name the batch then if that helps.

I've been naming my clone beers as "clone" up to the point where thay are served. Then I name it whatever I feel like or not.

For example Suncrest hefe was a Widmar clone (with some changes).

Here is an example of what I name my beers..... I gave up on names because I have so many styles and I got tired of people asking what kind of beer it is. Now the lable says it all and the color matches the SRM....

Tapsnew1.jpg

Denny's Brew said:
I sometimes name mine based on the annoying weatehr conditions at the time of brewing. Like last week when there was thunder and this week tha damn high winds. Haven't finalized the too names yet but they will be based on those.

My neighbor was joking about my sore foot and said I should soak it in the mash and I thought "Hmm, Dirty Foot Brewing Co?" :)
How about a "Beat the Heat Ale"?;)

I don't think naming a beer that you made with someone else's recipe is any different than you telling people that the excellent cookies they're eating are your mother's when she baked them using your grandmother's recipe.

It's perfectly acceptable.

As an interesting note along the same topic:
According to the US Copyright Office, a recipe is nothing more than a technical specification or set of instructions. It is not considered a creative work with copyright privileges. In other words, they're just telling you how to make it... but the end product is yours. Which is exactly why chefs and master brewers keep their exact recipes a closely guarded secret. Once they're out, anybody can publish them.

I like real manly names for brews: such as...

"My Favorite Pink Sweater Ale"
"We'll just lay here and talk since I don't wanna lager"
"I iron my jeans porter"
"Michael Bolton mood brew"
"Talking on the phone for over an hour Ale"

Back