Secondary fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
I know that doing a secondary ferment is not usually necessary. However are there certain types of beer (not talking about adding fruit etc) that should be moved to a secondary fermenter ? I just brewed an extract kit from northern called moose slobber. It seems to be a heavier beer, do I need to move something like that to a secondary to assist clearing it up ?

mtrogers14 said:
I know that doing a secondary ferment is not usually necessary. However are there certain types of beer (not talking about adding fruit etc) that should be moved to a secondary fermenter ? I just brewed an extract kit from northern called moose slobber. It seems to be a heavier beer, do I need to move something like that to a secondary to assist clearing it up ?

No
There are some styles or times you may want to bulk condition a beer for more than a month in which case moving to a secondary is beneficial but you could leave your Moose Slobber in the primary for 3-4 weeks and it will clear nicely without need of secondary

I know this is an old post but does someone know what he meant by "bulk condition"? Does it mean longer than 4 weeks? I am really interested in the practical scenarios where a carboy is needed.

Thanks guys!

Bulk conditioning meaning the whole batch in the same vessel and in this case yeah he is talking about over a month

Back