Said goodbye to an old friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSweat

Reaction score
I had to put my old friend to rest this weekend.
She wasn't just a pet, she was part of the family.
Here I am, a 45 year old man, holding her while she passed crying like a baby.
Rest in peace old friend!

121806_22391.jpg

The bond we share with our pets is an intense one. Made even worse by how short their lifespan compared to ours. I know how you feel and hope you can find another to fill the void left by her passing.

Sorry to hear that. But I can tell you your not the only adult to cry when the time comes. Sometimes the right decision is the hardest.

she looks like a great dog... sorry to hear friend. will raise a pint in her honor tonight!

So sorry to hear this. You did a very kind thing though, and to cry over a lost friend is nothing if not human. ;)

I can't stand to think of the day I have to make this call for my two pups.

My condolences. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was to make the decision to have my first dog put down.

I get all choked up reading these threads of the loss of a best buddy. They're just such pure souls and demand nothing of us except a bit of love and attention... and treats.

I'll raise a pint in you and your friend's honour this evening and to all our best buddies.

Sincere condolences here too. Pets are more than just pets - they become a part of your family. I'm not ashamed to admit, tears filling my eyes right now. I'm sorry for your loss.

If Only They Could Talk,
All Creatures Great and Small,
All Things Bright and Beautiful,
All Things Wise and Wonderful,
The Lord God Made them all.

I believe an English poem, and also books written by James Herriot, an English Veterinarian and author.

I offer my condolences to you, I know how deeply the loss is felt. I put my 13 Year old German Shepard to rest last April. It is a hard loss but her life enriched yours and she gave you many memories to relish for many years.

Oh, I'm so sorry! I hate to even think about that day I have to say goodbye to my Toby. Losing such a special pet hurts, and you have my sympathy for your loss.

We lost both of our dogs to the poisoned Chinese dog food a few years ago. On top of being heartbroken we were also extremely p*ssed at all thing Chinese for a long time.

I know how you feel. It's almost like they can understand you. Even if they don't fully get the language, there is something else going on between.

When it comes time to think about adopting a new puppy, I hope you decide to. I have found that having a new puppy running around getting into things and growing and learning really helps.

i know how you feel. It's almost like they can understand you. Even if they don't fully get the language, there is something else going on between.

When it comes time to think about adopting a new puppy, i hope you decide to. I have found that having a new puppy running around getting into things and growing and learning really helps.

+1

Sincere condolences from me as well. Our pets are definitely cherished family members as well, and it is hard when they have to depart.

Even our Pippen, with all his behavioral problems (we've almost had to put him down due to aggression), will be sorely missed someday despite all the drama he's created in the house. We tend to treat him more like a misfit child than the animal that he really is.

Take care of yourself as you pull through this.

Thanks for all the kind words.

She had a great life. We got her from the Humane Society fifteen years ago.

She loved camping and hiking, when she would see me gathering camping gear or grab my backpack there was no way I was getting out the door without her.

She was good at fishing too, I seldom used a net, when I would get a fish near the shore she would wade out and grab it and bring it to me.

Sorry man... I had to put my bulldog down two weeks ago... I too cried like a girl... The vet's office sent me a heart felt card... Which made me cry again.

Sorry to hear that man. I had to put my golden retriever down unexpectedly on saturday night... its been a rough few days. I keep walking around the house expecting to see him and it brings me to tears. Brewing beer without him on sunday was pretty rough.

Sorry for your loss :( I just got back from the vet myself and my 15yo cat only has a short time left, as she has a tumor in her mouth that is growing like crazy, and while it's not cancerous, it's only a matter of time before she stops eating and I'll have to put her down. He estimated 3-4 weeks...breaks my heart.

I am real sorry to hear this, friend. My best friend (Tux) is nearing his last days. He is not a dog, but a cat I rescued almost 10 rs ago. This is really depressing, he is a big part of our family. I find myself getting teary eyedas I type this and I know that the day is coming soon that we will have to put him down. I know for a fact that I will be crying too. Sucks.

Sorry to hear it. I still get sad when I think of my dogs I've lost.

Sorry for your loss. I had to put down my 16 yo Golden Retriever last month. Brit was the best girl ever. Cried like a little girl all day. I still feel guilty, even though it was the right thing to do.

they are very special beings that have feelings, love , and protect us. my condolences to the family

I'm so sorry for your loss brother. When I moved to Texas in July I had to leave my (well the families) pug bruiser with my parents. He suddenly passed two days after I got here. I bawled for a week straight, I cried when I read your post MSweat and I lost it when I read that rainbow bridge thing. Its a terrible thing to lose a family member.

Ryan

A day late but after spending all morning in the vet's office with 2 aging dogs, I can only offer my sympathy and raise a glass to another good dog gone to that great doggy daycare in the sky. :mug:

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. My sheltie passed away two years ago after battling heart disease, and I still miss him terribly.

It's tough to say goodbye to a very special family member and companion, so take the time to grieve - and don't let anyone tell you "it's just a dog". Keep the all good times you shared close to your heart and he'll always be with you.

Back