Kegco Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine finally arrived today. Looking forward to putting it together and building a base and stand for it

Be aware that 3 roller mills require a bit of disassembly to gap the rollers. So I would suggest you work this into the assembly if you desire. There are marks on the mill end plates, or you can "eyeball" your crush like I do....but if you want to get all "mill spec" it requires removal of 6-8 bolts on the mill front plate and hopper.

Does anyone know what the diameter of the drive shaft is? I need to order a love joy to hook up to electric motor. Thanks!

It's metric, and it may be 10mm but needs to be checked. Lovejoy makes metric couplers for drive shaft to motor shaft connections.

The flat side on the drive shaft is where the locking hex screw in the coupler would be positioned.

It's metric, and it may be 10mm but needs to be checked. Lovejoy makes metric couplers for drive shaft to motor shaft connections.

The flat side on the drive shaft is where the locking hex screw in the coupler would be positioned.

Was hoping to amazon prime it but may just have to take in to get measured. The shaft has three flat side to better accomidate a drill and a depper cut out for the hex screw. See pic. I have 3/8 and 1/2 lovejoy from prior mill being set up and its deffinetly between these two sizes.

View attachment 1501424964344.jpg

I have the mill. Just got it. Replaced a barley crusher mill. The kegco has 3 flat sides so not easy to measure without calipers. I think its 7/16 but may be metric as well.

Can you measure the shaft diameter, in an "uncut" area, like close to the mill body?

Standard and metric open end wrenches work well on round stock, when no calipers or micrometer is available.....:mug:

Are long time users still having good luck with these mills?

Any issues?

Was looking at MM until I saw this.....

I'm curious too as to how the bronze bushings are holding up? I am looking for another mill for a nanobrewery I'm opening and I'm thinking I should hold out for something with actual bearings like the cereal killer I use at home now..

I know the barley crusher uses bushings and I've seen threads where people have found these to be worn out in thier Mills causing issues.

Wifes brother bought my old Kegco 3 roller and I bought a new MM3. The mills are virtually identical except the Kegco is metric threaded and the MM3 is SAE

The kegco mills have bearings btw...

tThanks that would make sense since I thought the kegco mills were from the same makers as the cereal killer only without the base but...

The first page of this thread as well as the following description from kegco says they use oil impregnated bronze bushings for some reason.. I skipped a few pages of the thread so I apologize if its been discussed and I missed it..
kegco even goes into detail claiming "SAE 841 oil impregnated bronze bushings " under the features here http://www.beveragefactory.com/homebrew/pre-fermentation-equipment/kegco-KM11GM-3R-grain-mill.html... ?

"The Kegco KM11GM-3R Grain Mill is perfect for large batches and high efficiency milling. With three rollers, all your grain will be crushed twice in one cycle. The initial crush is through the fixed gap between the top two rollers, and then the grain passes through the second gap between the drive roller and the adjustable bottom third roller. The initial pass slightly flattens the grain, getting it ready for the next crush that breaks apart the grains and loosens the starch with minimal husk damage

The aluminum hopper can hold up to 11 lbs of grains and the roller body features an alloy block frame that houses three steel rollers on oil-impregnated bronze bushings. The drive shaft and all axles are integral to the roller, which makes clockwise or counter-clockwise drive possible. A hand crank is included, but the mill can be easily motorized with a corded electric drill. You don't need any additional attachments, just stick the drill on and go. Stainless knurled knobs allow a gap spacing adjustment range of .070". Adjusting is simple - just loosen the adjustment screws, adjust the gap and tighten the adjustment screws. You will need to supply or build a base to set the mill over a grain bin or 5 gallon bucket. "

its kind of a big difference to get wrong...

tThanks that would make sense since I thought the kegco mills were from the same makers as the cereal killer only without the base but...

The first page of this thread as well as the following description from kegco says they use oil impregnated bronze bushings for some reason.. I skipped a few pages of the thread so I apologize if its been discussed and I missed it..
kegco even goes into detail claiming "SAE 841 oil impregnated bronze bushings " under the features here http://www.beveragefactory.com/homebrew/pre-fermentation-equipment/kegco-KM11GM-3R-grain-mill.html... ?

"The Kegco KM11GM-3R Grain Mill is perfect for large batches and high efficiency milling. With three rollers, all your grain will be crushed twice in one cycle. The initial crush is through the fixed gap between the top two rollers, and then the grain passes through the second gap between the drive roller and the adjustable bottom third roller. The initial pass slightly flattens the grain, getting it ready for the next crush that breaks apart the grains and loosens the starch with minimal husk damage

The aluminum hopper can hold up to 11 lbs of grains and the roller body features an alloy block frame that houses three steel rollers on oil-impregnated bronze bushings. The drive shaft and all axles are integral to the roller, which makes clockwise or counter-clockwise drive possible. A hand crank is included, but the mill can be easily motorized with a corded electric drill. You don't need any additional attachments, just stick the drill on and go. Stainless knurled knobs allow a gap spacing adjustment range of .070". Adjusting is simple - just loosen the adjustment screws, adjust the gap and tighten the adjustment screws. You will need to supply or build a base to set the mill over a grain bin or 5 gallon bucket. "

its kind of a big difference to get wrong...

Mine has bearings as well

That sure is inexpensive lol. I'd have to guess its the same mill as the kegco?

it might be..the limited 3 roller photos appear to show the kegco mill, no idea if it has bushings or bearings though. If it is the same as the kegco it might be why they are hiding it with misleading pictures only showing certain angles... Just like the stout microbrewing stuff Im looking at on alibaba from sungood which is the same manufacturer as stout for those particular products but they cant confirm or advertise that because of the agreement they have with stout to sell the stuff as thier own for much more $$ they wont admit it but probrewer is full of evidence of this and they just told me they cant comment on it because someone will get very upset but I will get the exact same quality product. or the intertap brand faucets which are only $9 now on alibaba but they are no longer allowed to ship to the US after I bought mine because williams and other distributors complained.

basically if they made it obvious its the same product here they would likely get flack from beverage factory and Williams. for undercutting.they also just might not have any actual pictures of the product and are using photod from similiar mills they have or found... wouldnt be the first time and thus sellers feedback shows they do substitute photos so... only way to know would be to buy one I guess since it only costs the return shipping to get a refund.

Looks like most of the pics in that listing are of a two roller mill. I'd be very hesitant to order from this seller.

Brew on :mug:

Yeh I see the photos with the captions on how to adjust the rollers and the phtotos of the 2 roller mills they also sell as such that they must be using due to the lack of good photos of the newer 3 roller mill or maybe for the reasons above^ actually have some limited photos of the 3 roller mill as well as a parts breakdown clearly stating its has them (assembly required) whereas before it was the title that said 3 roller and all the photos and description said 2 roller.

plot thickens... I just noticed that monster mills description is identical to kegcos right down to the SAE 841 oil impregnated bushings... pics are identical only the mm3 has a "monster" sized $400 pricetag... nuts. especially if it really does use the bushings like the barley crusher instead of bearings.
Im gonna buy the ebay one and report back on my findings..

Im gonna buy the ebay one and report back on my findings..
Please do, I'm waiting for a response back from the seller on clarification if it's a 2 or 3 roller design. It looks like they also sell a 2 roller model so I think it's a cut/copy/paste error, and by the typos in the description, I bet English isn't there first language.

Please do, I'm waiting for a response back from the seller on clarification if it's a 2 or 3 roller design. It looks like they also sell a 2 roller model so I think it's a cut/copy/paste error, and by the typos in the description, I bet English isn't there first language.
yes that my thoughts exactly especially since the kegco mills are for sale up on aliexpress without the branding but with better pictures to confirm its the same mill there.

Haha good luck with a response from the seller....English is not the first language and also I would guess he has zero knowledge of the what he is selling.

The listing is fairly descriptive of a 3 roller mill, and IME eBay is pro buyer if the item is not as described and you would likely win a dispute if your up for the hassle....

My guess is that you will receive the kegco / Chinese 3 roller. I bought one a while back from kegco and they are nice units.

Haha good luck with a response from the seller....English is not the first language and also I would guess he has zero knowledge of the what he is selling.

The listing is fairly descriptive of a 3 roller mill, and IME eBay is pro buyer if the item is not as described and you would likely win a dispute if your up for the hassle....

My guess is that you will receive the kegco / Chinese 3 roller. I bought one a while back from kegco and they are nice units.

From reading their feedback I think your right about the language barrier. I went a head and bought it earlier... even if its not as described it will cost me $12 to get a refund... Im still way ahead with the risk from other purchases folks told me were unrealistic like those $16 tri clover based ripple elements im sure you remember..;)

Yes, I doubt I will here back, but it was worth a try.

Everything except for this:

2. Powerful: Hevy duty two rollers (love the typos)

Looks like 3 rollers everywhere else.

I do like this line:

3. Adjustable: secondary gap adjustable for the thickness of the powder

Just what we want, powder control! :rockin:

I messaged them yesterday afternoon too and never heard back... Decided to buy from a different seller but something makes me think many of the sellers are one in the same... They all ship from "LA" and end up being about the same price..

auggie, to your original question about how it has held up... I have put countless sacks through mine and it is just like the day I got it, just dustier (and motorized).

auggie, to your original question about how it has held up... I have put countless sacks through mine and it is just like the day I got it, just dustier (and motorized).
Thanks, I'm pretty convinced its the same as the two roll version sold as the cereal killer I have now... I ordered it for the nanobrewery and it just left California so will see

I messaged them yesterday afternoon too and never heard back... Decided to buy from a different seller but something makes me think many of the sellers are one in the same... They all ship from "LA" and end up being about the same price..
Well, I just heard back from them and it's a 3 roller mill (the eBay one) Looks like they fixed the description but not the pictures.

Response:
sorry for the incovience to you,and it is 3roller mill

This is the one, ot 3 Rollers Malt Barley Mill Crusher With Hopper Homebrew Grain Grinder Tools

I have another question... can I flip the drive roller on this? the reason I ask is my gear reduction motor turns the opposite way than this is currently set up for... looks simple enough to flip it around but wondering if anyone has tried.

I somewhat remember me wanting to flip drive to opposite end plate. I believe you can't but you should double check

Back