using yeast to carb sodas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LT72884

Reaction score
Ok, here is my first recipe im going to try. Its simple and easy but i want to use yeast to carb it rather than adding the syrup to siltzer water

2 cups sugar
1 cup water(filtered)
1 tbls pure vanilia extract
cream or half and half

Boil 2 cups sugar and 1 cup water together until clear. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes. Add the vanilia and let syrup get to room temp or chill in ice bath.

1.5 oz syrup to 12 oz siltzer water with a tablespoon or so of cream.(easy way)

Ok, now that i have a syrup, i want to carb it up with yeast. I have heard that its roughly 1/8th tsp yeast per 2 L bottle.

How would i use yeast to carb up 5 oz of syrup?

thanks

Matt

You can't really carbonate syrup with yeast, for a number of reasons. First of all, that concentration of sugar will kill the yeast. Second, you generally use a little syrup with a lot of water, so the CO2 in the syrup is never going to be enough to make the whole thing fizzy. You'll end up with flat soda.

I would recommend following someone's recipe, or possibly buying a soda flavor extract from the brew store and follow the instructions in it.

I think that what may be meant is that the syrup is being created, and then 1.5 oz of the syrup is being added to a 2 liter bottle, along with water. And that the entire thing should be carbonated (not just the syrup alone).

I think instructions for an extract says 1/8th of a teaspoon ...or was that tablespoon... of yeast per gallon. Someone ought to check that though.

I would recommend following someone's recipe, or possibly buying a soda flavor extract from the brew store and follow the instructions in it.

I think that what may be meant is that the syrup is being created, and then 1.5 oz of the syrup is being added to a 2 liter bottle, along with water. And that the entire thing should be carbonated (not just the syrup alone).

I think instructions for an extract says 1/8th of a teaspoon ...or was that tablespoon... of yeast per gallon. Someone ought to check that though.

yeah its 1.5 oz of syrup to a 500ml bottle. That recipe above makes 2 cups syrup

Its 1/8th tsp per 2 qrts

i have made the syrup, and i have seltzer water, but i wanna try yeast. Mr food science member happened to find a book for me to check out from my local library. Im going to check that out and see what recipes are in there.

thanks guys:mug:

Make a yeast starter, mix filtered water in to the syrup in the same manner you would with seltzer water, throw in the yeast starter. Cap bottle, shake, wait till bottle is pressurized, then refrigerate.

Whats a yeast starter? is that just yeast with a we bit of sugar? thanx

A yeast starter is about 2 cups of warm water(115 degrees F is best for yeast, too hot kills them too cold slows growth), 2 tbsp of sugar, and your yeast. Stir and, let it sit about 15-20minutes. Making a starter will help it carbonate faster and basically cut the yeast taste to null.

Just made ginger ale with a yeast starter, and absolutely no taste of yeast, took only 8 hours to carbonate instead of 24-48hours.

I plan on making cream soda next, using this same method. I made root beer in the past with an intense yeast taste, which is sort of bitter and nasty, I'm almost certain it was because I just added all the ingredients and cold water.

Back