I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I'm probably broaching severe, I don't know, craziness, loneliness, to much feeling sorryforselfness?

I'm writing.

Just so you know I have the Navy Hymn from the previous post blaring in my ears, it does provide some comfort. Understanding really. Oops! The YouYube video changed on to Taps.

Here's the sea story, if you're still reading, give me a chance and I'll tell you another.

From around 1983 to 1989, I went from E1 to an E6. I was a maintainer, an Aircraft Electrician, or as we liked to call ourselves, Aviation Everything. I started out working on F-4S Phantoms. An F-4S Phantom, a McDonnelDouglas aircraft. Not sure it if still does but at one time it held the record for speed and climb rates. Big ass General Electric J-79 axial flow turbojet engines. I think they were rated around 34,000 pounds of thrust - peak. They made a brick like an F-4 Phantom fly fast.

AEs, Aviation Everything. Everything on an airplane is connected electrically by wiring. So to do our job well we needed to understand the systems the electrical powered. Whether it be landing gear control, engine operation (electrical) , autopilot, hydraulics, air conditioning... whatever, we needed to know how it worked. Nothing like a good electrical/hydraulic schematic to makes things understandable. I guess our specific purpose was aircraft lighting (believe me, it was the only test I ever failed, thought it would be easy, it's pretty complicated actually) ,AC/DC power generation and distribution, flux valves - the airplane's compasses, Attitude systems. Gyros - might be outdated but they are still super cool in my opinion. Automatic pilot, the list goes on. Neat thing about the rating was we were troubleshooters for the most part. We usually were the ones to tell an Airframer his hydraulic actuator was bad, or a mech their engine wasn't going into after burner because a pressure sensing switch was bad.. Hell, I could go on an on, there is just to much stuff.

What sucks is this. I have forgotten most of the stuff. I used to spend hours studying electrical schematics.. The theory and understanding of electricity at one time was fresh in my brain.

I did pretty well in the Navy, didn't make Master Chief though, retired as a Senior Chief. Once, at least in the Navy, a person makes it to E7 (Chief) the technical knowledge is not really needed. You have to have a general idea but no longer need to know all the details. That sucks really. You become a "leader" and that's great and all but you start forgetting stuff.

Okay. If anybody actually made it through this long rambling post. I'll buy you a beer. In thought anyway. :mug:

Dan...love to read your stories. You wield a great pen! You mentioned before that you wrote about your dad. Great memories are in that book. Great memories written by a honest writer. Hopefully some day you write your own stories for your kids and someday, grandkids, to enjoy. A beer in thought for you Dan. Many beers.

I'm working late tonight. Took a break.

When I work too many days, too late, I start listening to the old bluegrass gospel stuff. This guy, Ralph Stanley is great. Tons of old stuff by him, and his voice is golden. I'm traveling for a while, so enjoy your weekend Late Niters and I'll see you on the flipside.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm working late tonight. Took a break.

When I work too many days, too late, I start listening to the old bluegrass gospel stuff. This guy, Ralph Stanley is great. Tons of old stuff by him, and his voice is golden. I'm traveling for a while, so enjoy your weekend Late Niters and I'll see you on the flipside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xmRWj7gJEU

I posted this song on fb once. Great song! I love O' Brother Where Art Thou. It's one of my favorite movies.

I posted this song on fb once. Great song! I love O' Brother Where Art Thou. It's one of my favorite movies.

His music pops up on my Old Crow Medicine Show pandora station, but not that song. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot is the song that comes up often. I used to sing that in boot camp on Sundays. Good soul in gospel.

Go here to listen to that: http://ex.fm/song/1dgrt

image-1635537720.jpg

Look what I just got and had to explain to the wife oh yea FREE

I'm not sure if I should be apologizing or celebrating my silly ramblings spread across this forumn last night. Writing stuff for me is just helpful in many ways. I'm going to take a few days off HBT. It won't be long because I can't seem to get this site off my addiction list. :)

Cheers all!

:mug::mug:

Okay, I'm probably broaching severe, I don't know, craziness, loneliness, to much feeling sorryforselfness?

I'm writing.

Just so you know I have the Navy Hymn from the previous post blaring in my ears, it does provide some comfort. Understanding really. Oops! The YouYube video changed on to Taps.

Here's the sea story, if you're still reading, give me a chance and I'll tell you another.

From around 1983 to 1989, I went from E1 to an E6. I was a maintainer, an Aircraft Electrician, or as we liked to call ourselves, Aviation Everything. I started out working on F-4S Phantoms. An F-4S Phantom, a McDonnelDouglas aircraft. Not sure it if still does but at one time it held the record for speed and climb rates. Big ass General Electric J-79 axial flow turbojet engines. I think they were rated around 34,000 pounds of thrust - peak. They made a brick like an F-4 Phantom fly fast.

AEs, Aviation Everything. Everything on an airplane is connected electrically by wiring. So to do our job well we needed to understand the systems the electrical powered. Whether it be landing gear control, engine operation (electrical) , autopilot, hydraulics, air conditioning... whatever, we needed to know how it worked. Nothing like a good electrical/hydraulic schematic to makes things understandable. I guess our specific purpose was aircraft lighting (believe me, it was the only test I ever failed, thought it would be easy, it's pretty complicated actually) ,AC/DC power generation and distribution, flux valves - the airplane's compasses, Attitude systems. Gyros - might be outdated but they are still super cool in my opinion. Automatic pilot, the list goes on. Neat thing about the rating was we were troubleshooters for the most part. We usually were the ones to tell an Airframer his hydraulic actuator was bad, or a mech their engine wasn't going into after burner because a pressure sensing switch was bad.. Hell, I could go on an on, there is just to much stuff.

What sucks is this. I have forgotten most of the stuff. I used to spend hours studying electrical schematics.. The theory and understanding of electricity at one time was fresh in my brain.

I did pretty well in the Navy, didn't make Master Chief though, retired as a Senior Chief. Once, at least in the Navy, a person makes it to E7 (Chief) the technical knowledge is not really needed. You have to have a general idea but no longer need to know all the details. That sucks really. You become a "leader" and that's great and all but you start forgetting stuff.

Okay. If anybody actually made it through this long rambling post. I'll buy you a beer. In thought anyway. :mug:

I used to know a bunch of stuff too. When you don't use it, you lose it. But not really, It comes back quick if you need it.

Santa wrapped all the gifts in our house today. While he was doing that and the kids were hanging out with thier aunt and uncle and cousins, I got the perfect Old Fashioned recipe down. We are having a pre Cristmas cocktail party with friends and family so I wanted to nail my favorite. Actually pretty much the only mixed drink I ever order. It only took me 3 adjustments with 2 more repeats for good measure. I am craving some stout now.

Tell the story of how

I was at a friends house having a brew at his place as he is a Mason and with parades, officer installments this was his last chance to brew this year. So I brought down all the equipment and a couple of 3 gallon kegs. A house down the street was having a yard sale and a guy wondered up thinking there was a sale here as well. We explained what we were doing and tapped him a beer or two and he was looking at the kegs and said he worked at a private school that had a bunch of kegs that had been sitting in a shed for at least 7 years. They had contacted Pepsi several times and they never responded said that we could have them if we wanted. So this was last Sat. and he dropped them off at my friends house on Friday some time wish I had a way to thank him I had given him my phone number but didn't get his, I wasn't even sure if he was for real or not but all worked out so I will send prayers his way and hope "karma" will pay him forward. I am sharing the kegs with the 2 other guys that I brew with regularly(I will keep 5 and 4 to one and 3 to the other based on their needs, besides wife says 30 kegs is enough for ANYONE):D:ban: Sorry for the long text and if this is too much gloating:eek:

I was at a friends house having a brew at his place as he is a Mason and with parades, officer installments this was his last chance to brew this year. So I brought down all the equipment and a couple of 3 gallon kegs. A house down the street was having a yard sale and a guy wondered up thinking there was a sale here as well. We explained what we were doing and tapped him a beer or two and he was looking at the kegs and said he worked at a private school that had a bunch of kegs that had been sitting in a shed for at least 7 years. They had contacted Pepsi several times and they never responded said that we could have them if we wanted. So this was last Sat. and he dropped them off at my friends house on Friday some time wish I had a way to thank him I had given him my phone number but didn't get his, I wasn't even sure if he was for real or not but all worked out so I will send prayers his way and hope "karma" will pay him forward. I am sharing the kegs with the 2 other guys that I brew with regularly(I will keep 5 and 4 to one and 3 to the other based on their needs, besides wife says 30 kegs is enough for ANYONE):D:ban: Sorry for the long text and if this is too much gloating:eek:

Some People keep their word... All we got in this world is our words and balls... And we shouldn't bust them for no one!

Santa wrapped all the gifts in our house today. While he was doing that and the kids were hanging out with thier aunt and uncle and cousins, I got the perfect Old Fashioned recipe down. We are having a pre Cristmas cocktail party with friends and family so I wanted to nail my favorite. Actually pretty much the only mixed drink I ever order. It only took me 3 adjustments with 2 more repeats for good measure. I am craving some stout now.
I've never had an Old Fashioned. What's in it?

I never stumble on lucky situations like that. You should buy a lotto ticket!

Two things I've learned about raising chickens:

1) Don't throw them. You'd think because they are birds and have wings, they will be able to land softly, but this is not always the case with chickens. They aren't like cats, they don't always land on their feet.

2) If you get face-to-face with one and it pokes it's beak toward your mouth like it wants a kiss, don't try to kiss it back!! You will only get bit on the lip. Ouch!

It's insanely simple. Soak the chicken in milk for a few hours. Remove from milk and apply salt and pepper. Dredge in flour and then deep fry until golden brown. There's not a lot to it, but sometimes less is more!

Buttermilk, broheim. Buttermilk.

And double dredging (buttermilk, flour, another dip into the buttermilk, and then back into the flour) should be the absolute minimum!

I also like some paprika and cayenne - or even better, ancho chili powder - in the buttermilk (which I recommend keeping in the fridge with the chicken marinating overnight). And then pepper and a good amount of salt as well as some more paprika (and, optionally, more cayenne/ancho powder) in the flour, with just a little touch of onion powder.

Buttermilk, broheim.

And double dredging (buttermilk, flour, another dip into the buttermilk, and then back into the flour) should be an absolute minimum!

I also like some cayenne (or even better, ancho chili powder) in the buttermilk and/or flour, as well as some paprika and just a little touch of onion powder.

Note the part of my post that said "less is more"! ;)

Not to say that sometimes I don't go the route of using spices, flavorings, etc., because I most certainly do. Sometimes, you just gotta make it like momma! Her way will always be my favorite. She would say "The chicken is the star of the show! It don't need no help!".. haha

Note the part of my post that said "less is more"! ;)

Not to say that sometimes I don't go the route of using spices, flavorings, etc., because I most certainly do. Sometimes, you just gotta make it like momma! Her way will always be my favorite.

Oh, I'm all for keeping things simple, and definitely appreciate the value of doing so. A good cook can make things very flavorful with a few well-selected ingredients, and many such recipes frequently end up being among the absolute best. Only a shìtty cook needs to rely on myriad ingredients which tend to create a muddled flavor profile more often than they actually improve and properly focus the strengths/highlights of the food in question (though even this isn't a universal truism - Indian curries for instance can produce almost magical results by combining large numbers of vastly different ingredients into a single distinctive and delicious dish).

That being said, I consider my previous post to actually be a very simple recipe, which is a big part of why I like it so much. But buttermilk and some paprika are almost essential in my opinion, and I just don't see the use of buttermilk as being any less simple than the use of regular milk.

Oh, I'm all for keeping things simple, and definitely appreciate the value of doing so. A good cook can make things very flavorful with a few well-selected ingredients, and many such recipes frequently end up being among the absolute best. Only a shìtty cook needs to rely on myriad ingredients which tend to create a muddled flavor profile more often than they actually improve and properly focus the strengths/highlights of the food in question (though even this isn't a universal truism - Indian curries for instance can produce almost magical results by combining large numbers of vastly different ingredients into a single distinctive and delicious dish).

That being said, I consider my previous post to actually be a very simple recipe, which is a big part of why I like it so much. But buttermilk and some paprika are almost essential in my opinion, and I just don't see the use of buttermilk as being any less simple than the use of regular milk.

I don't disagree one bit my friend. And to add my own little 2 cents I would say the only thing I would add to your recipe would be some good Louisiana hot sauce with the buttermilk. :D

I tried a few different ways but this is what I like best so far:

4 dashes bitters
1/2 oz simple syrup
3 oz water
2 oz whiskey
Orange slice
Marichino cherry
Top off with ice.

My entire life I've always been a whiskey and coke or beer kind of guy. Well, when I was younger I was a tequila kind of guy, but that's a different story. Anyway... I don't really have much experience with "bitters". I've heard the term, but I don't really know what it is. It seems like I've heard of different flavors of bitters. Is there a specific type of bitters that you are referring to? If I wanted to buy what your referring to, what would I look for specifically?

I was going to say something about magnetic induction rates, but I think it would be redundant at this point.

Coral Castle is pretty cool.

Leadgolem - HELP! HELP! I need music recommendations stat! I have one more day of classes and I need to party!
Sorry, I've been to busy dealing with work stuff the last few days to be on.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-gYJBsln-w"]Krewella - Alive[/ame]

Look what I just got and had to explain to the wife oh yea FREE
Nice score beaks. I'd be jealous, but it looks like 3 kegs is about right for me. :)

My entire life I've always been a whiskey and coke or beer kind of guy. Well, when I was younger I was a tequila kind of guy, but that's a different story. Anyway... I don't really have much experience with "bitters". I've heard the term, but I don't really know what it is. It seems like I've heard of different flavors of bitters. Is there a specific type of bitters that you are referring to? If I wanted to buy what your referring to, what would I look for specifically?

Angostura bitters

Snow wasn't nearly as bad as the weather stations forecast. About 2" of wet gloppy snow. Heavy, but we're already shoveled out.

I'm really not a fan of the Weather Channel naming these stupid storms. Hurricanes and typhoons - fine. But every little storm that comes up over the northeast? Please, stop feeding the hysteria of the people who can't cope with snow.

Here is the recipe for what I made last night, sweet and sour pork. I don't measure so everything is approximate.

2 cups beef broth reduced to one cup
4-5 good size slashes of worcestershire sauce
About 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
chili powder- as much as you want for a little kick

Add a half pound pork loin, cut into small cubes, to the liquid. Simmer and cook the pork a couple of hours. Add about 1/2 cup of rice, maybe a little extra water. 20 minutes to cook the rice. Then move to a cool burner, let it cool to room temperature then refrigerate. I refrigerated over night.

Then the next day it's really easy. Heat some real butter in a pan, about 1/4 stick, add broccoli cut to small pieces, cook the broccoli or whatever veggies you want to add, beat 2 eggs, add to pan and scramble them. Add the cold pork and rice and pan fry everything together. I added a coupe splashes of olive oil at this point and also a few splashes of soy sauce.

Tasted like Chinese take-out, only better!!

Back