Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point I'd say we have cover about 20% of all available beers on the market...people apparently suck at making beer, except homebrewers

Huh? The thread is dedicated to the worst commercial beers that people have had. Even if it were true that '20% of all available beers on the market' were called out in this thread, how does that equate to everybody sucks at making beer except home brewers? There's still the other 80% of commercial brewers making beer that doesn't suck, right?

Don't!!!

I think they collaborated with Robitussin for the cherry flavor...

I had one some 10-12 odd years ago and liked it but it's not a brew that you have more than one. It tends to get syrupy/heavy by the end.
Robitussin.....even the smell alone makes me nauseus.
Knew plenty a person whom drank it for the DM buzz.

Steel kettle (original brew). Just bad.... Anything you can get for less than $20 a 30 pack had to be rough. Got it from fresh and easy years ago. Worst beer hands down.

Huh? The thread is dedicated to the worst commercial beers that people have had. Even if it were true that '20% of all available beers on the market' were called out in this thread, how does that equate to everybody sucks at making beer except home brewers? There's still the other 80% of commercial brewers making beer that doesn't suck, right?

The comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Just pointing out how different our tastes are and how many beers we don't enjoy

This past Saturday, we went over to our neighbors house who had leftover beer from a party. All he had was some Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. Fruit flavors in beer are definitely NOT my thing, bleeeeech! Had one to be nice but didn't want a second.

I've sort of wanted to try all these "terrible" US lite/ice beers, but since even the most basic imported US beer is over 2 euro's per bottle, i'd rather spend that money on testing beers that are rated well :D

Florida Cracker -- found a can of it on the beach, took it back to the hotel, chilled and ended up choking it down

I drank quite a bit of that on vacation, and I'm not even a huge fan of witbiers. Could it have been sitting out in the heat too long?

New Holland Black Tulip. This was a triple brewed with tulip petals. I don't know if the extreme bitterness was due to hops or the petals, but this swill tasted like someone spiked it with Chanel #5. Maybe this stuff has to age a few years. My experience was nothing like the description given.

Stone's "go to IPA" It wasn't the worst beer I have had but it was one that I was probably the most disappointed in. I've loved most of Stone's beers so I had high hopes for this one but to me it just had a very bland flavor. To be honest i'm not sure exactly what about it I didn't like but it just tasted like a coors light with some perfume dumped in it. For a session IPA i'll stick to Founders All Day IPA and Victory's Vital.

I was going to say, if Coors and PBR are the worst he's had, he must not try very many beers.

Coors is great more mowing the lawn or floating the river.

American Pißlager is far from my worst beer...
It's by no means good, but it's not really unoffensive, though I'd rather pass on beer if it's all a place has.

However I have had some DISGUSTING craft brews. Aka lots of shipyard which I mentioned earlier

Cerveza Aguila. Although it's Colombian, I was introduced to it while in Spain in my teens. To this day, it's the beer that came to mind when I saw the title of this thread.

I was going to say, if Coors and PBR are the worst he's had, he must not try very many beers.
Coors is great for mowing the lawn or floating the river.
I grew up in Arizona (60s & 70s), and there was nothing better than a inner-tube with an ice chest full of ice cold Coors tallboys while tubing the Gila or Salt rivers. Now that I'm all "grown up," I'd much prefer a tastier craft or homebrew than a BMC, but when you're a kid on a river in an inner-tube, who cares? It was heaven!
:mug:
PS. I know, the thread is about worst commercial beers....so, anything with Pumpkin.

I grew up in Arizona (60s & 70s), and there was nothing better than a inner-tube with an ice chest full of ice cold Coors tallboys while tubing the Gila or Salt rivers. Now that I'm all "grown up," I'd much prefer a tastier craft or homebrew than a BMC, but when you're a kid on a river in an inner-tube, who cares? It was heaven!
PS. I know, the thread is about worst commercial beers....so, anything with Pumpkin.

I've done that!

Yeah, pumpkin. Ugh, I've done that too.

Where I grew up in MN we floated the Cottonwood River. Ended up right below August Schell Brewery and we drank a lot of their Deer (piss) Beer!

Schells-Deer-Brand-Beer-Labels-August-Schell-Brewing-Company_68786-1.jpg

Their brewing water is an artisan well with tons of sulfur! Beer has a "unique" taste, and doubles as exlax if you aren't used to it!

Worst = taste/cost, 2015 Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout.
My untappd comment:
NOTE: Goose Island is offering refunds because this is so bad. No sign of infection, but coffee is astringent and clashes with bourbon.

Worst = taste/cost, 2015 Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Coffee Stout.
My untappd comment:
NOTE: Goose Island is offering refunds because this is so bad. No sign of infection, but coffee is astringent and clashes with bourbon.

Glad I could only get the Barleywine! I heard that was infected, but I drank it before it started to turn. Still can't believe a 14% beer can get infected, lol. Must be some serious bacteria.

Just tried a Burton Baton from Dogfish Head and it was god freaking awful, but I'd say worst ever has to be Steel Reserve. My wife bought it for me when I started getting into craft thinking it looked cool, but I couldn't even choke it down.

Kroger cost cutter beer i never had it but my unckle who drank the beast hot or cold it didnt matter couldnt get it down.

It's a toss up between some crap called Hite (I think it's Korean, gave me epic bubble guts!!!) that I had at a Karaoke bar in K-Town in Los Angeles and 211 aka Steel Reserve that I used to chug in college (high ABV, low cost...college budget beer).

Thinking about either gives me the chills...and bad memories of hangovers.:tank:

Steel Reserve: We have some friends of SWMBO who come to visit. They have a nice home but "live in a van down by the ocean" when they come to town and live on the cheap. They stock up on "Steelies" when they are on the road and bring it to the house when they come to visit and for some reason they enjoy my keezer offerings over their "Steelies".

Blue Moon is a close second.

Steeped Emperor's Lemon Saison | Moody Tongue Brewing Company

Tried to drink a pint last night at dinner - taste and smell made me think of pine-sol.

I'm a little older than some of ya but when I was a kid we drank this CRAP called Texas Pride. it was 1.99 a 12 pack and the only way we could actually drink the stuff was to bong it.

Coors is great for mowing the lawn or floating the river.

Sorry but I've drank a lot of beers. From Colorado, still hate Coors. Really any American Rice Lager is horrible. Bud,,,Busch,,,Miller,,,etc. etc. etc.

Back