Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought nothing would ever beat that nasty, Fruity Pebbles tasting, Lienenkugal's Sunset Wheat, but I have found one that is worse.

Oculto. It's made by one of Anheuser Busch's "Craft" breweries. It is supposed to have been aged with Tequila barrel staves and have Blue Agave juice or some other hideous addition.

It tastes like lighter fluid mix with ass.

Terrible. Simply terrible

I thought nothing would ever beat that nasty, Fruity Pebbles tasting, Lienenkugal's Sunset Wheat, but I have found one that is worse.

Oculto. It's made by one of Anheuser Busch's "Craft" breweries. It is supposed to have been aged with Tequila barrel staves and have Blue Agave juice or some other hideous addition.

It tastes like lighter fluid mix with ass.

Terrible. Simply terrible

Actually, I kinda like it. :) Yes, it's got an odd flavor, but I like it occasionally. Definitely not a regular thing, but occasionally. :)

Amstel Light, by far the worst. The Cicerone off flavor training used Amstel Light as the calibration beer. The first off flavor was DMS and I had a very difficult time telling the test beer from the calibration beer. Turns out Amstel Light uses a lot of corn in their recipe and as a result the DMS off flavor is not uncommon in the beer.

I'm going back all the way to 1974, Escondido, CA with this one (yes, I'm old!). A buddy and I were low on funds when we happened upon a display of Van Lauter's German style beer made in Phoenix. At $0.98/ six pack we couldn't pass it up, but we certainly should have.

I don't recall it necessarily tasting horrible and it must have been passable because we both drank 3 or 4. The true error of our decision didn't hit us until the next day. We were spewing from both ends for most of that day with an aftermath of dry heaves that lasted on into the evening.

I suppose it could have been the pizza, but we DID NOT repeat the experiment, so I'll never know!

Well the Triple Bock from Sam Adams was definitely a drainpour... My wife and I thought we were just drinking soy sauce.

But for the normal beers I think that I'd have to go with the Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat. My wife and I tried that many times and thought it tasted like nothing more than someone pissed on a pile of hay... That was years ago... But just a month or two ago my friend is the beer manager at a bar and was talking about how he liked that beer... I told him our description of it and he didn't agree... So he poured himself a few samples, then got mad at me because every sample he poured tasted worse and worse. I assume there is some validity to our opinion.

The other beer is Moose Drool. We love other brown ales, but will dump that one every time...

Then a few years ago I had a cedar aged doppelbock from Boulevard... I didn't think it was bad but as I was finishing one glass of it (it was a bomber) I started getting headache that just got worse the more I drank it. I couldn't finish the second glass.
I've consumed other cedar aged or grilled things with no problem. I love cedar normally... But there was something in that beer that just did not work with me.

Piton, the pride of St. Lucia. Didn't have many options while on our honeymoon and was forced to suck a few of these down. Terrible beer.

Well the Triple Bock from Sam Adams was definitely a drainpour... My wife and I thought we were just drinking soy sauce.

But for the normal beers I think that I'd have to go with the Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat. My wife and I tried that many times and thought it tasted like nothing more than someone pissed on a pile of hay... That was years ago... But just a month or two ago my friend is the beer manager at a bar and was talking about how he liked that beer... I told him our description of it and he didn't agree... So he poured himself a few samples, then got mad at me because every sample he poured tasted worse and worse. I assume there is some validity to our opinion.

The other beer is Moose Drool. We love other brown ales, but will dump that one every time...

Then a few years ago I had a cedar aged doppelbock from Boulevard... I didn't think it was bad but as I was finishing one glass of it (it was a bomber) I started getting headache that just got worse the more I drank it. I couldn't finish the second glass.
I've consumed other cedar aged or grilled things with no problem. I love cedar normally... But there was something in that beer that just did not work with me.

I liked boulevard. Their quads are good, the wheat I used to like but now that I drink mostly 7% I cant even taste it. Think I'm done with wheats. However boulevards IPAs aren't the greatest. Their Belgian stuff is great though.

Sam Adams does a Cherry Wheat. What a terrible, Ny-Quil tasting beer.

Oskar Blues Old Chub is a very close second.

I liked boulevard. Their quads are good, the wheat I used to like but now that I drink mostly 7% I cant even taste it. Think I'm done with wheats. However boulevards IPAs aren't the greatest. Their Belgian stuff is great though.

It looks like the only beers of theres really from the time I was trying to drink them that still exist are the Single Wide IPA, Unfiltered Wheat, and Tank 7. Or the other beers weren't available in Texas.

I really don't enjoy anything over 6.5% except for special occasions so I normally do love good hefeweizens (but I don't normally like american wheats...). I've found the vast majority of american made belgian style beers to be atrocious, made by people who have no clue what they're supposed to be like and just going on the more is better gimmicky concept, so I have not touched their Sixth Glass when I've seen it...

Although I think I have a bottle of the Rye on Rye sitting around somewhere.

Fifty years ago, when I was just starting to enjoy drinking beer, I learned that "Schlitz" was a sure thing to give me a headache. Come to think about it, back then it may have had more to do with the quantity than the quality of the beer :mug:.

I've found the vast majority of american made belgian style beers to be atrocious, made by people who have no clue what they're supposed to be like and just going on the more is better gimmicky concept, so I have not touched their Sixth Glass when I've seen it...

Although I think I have a bottle of the Rye on Rye sitting around somewhere.

Boulevard's brewmaster (Steven Pauwels) is Belgian born and raised.

Rye-on-Rye is one of my all-time favorite beers!

I had one a couple weeks ago that might top my "Wild Blue" entry to this competition (or commiseration...) Surly Damphbier. I have never worked so hard to find the bottom of a glass before. Absolutely revolting. Finished the pint in three swallows, because that was the only way it was going down.

I had one a couple weeks ago that might top my "Wild Blue" entry to this competition (or commiseration...) Surly Damphbier. I have never worked so hard to find the bottom of a glass before. Absolutely revolting. Finished the pint in three swallows, because that was the only way it was going down.

I liked this the first couple of times I drank it, but it lost its shine quickly. Won't be getting anymore of it.

Sorry, I was referencing the 'wild blue' as I haven't tried the Surly product yet.

I just checked my Untapped as I've had some remarkably forgettable brews... a couple of them are as follows: The Anvil Bourbon Cider by Sonoma Cider and Purple Haze by Abita. Didn't care much for Hoplanta (Red Brick Brewing) either, but that's just because it was a hob bomb. Ephemere Pomme was nasty as well. Redds Apple Ale is definitely a dumper in my book. Just don't care for apple and beer together.

The worst commercial beer I've had was the Star Trek 50th Anniversary Golden Ale (brewed under contract by Schmaltz). It had a real funky brett flavor that I wasn't expecting. Every bottle was a gusher. It was also murky and had weird stuff floating in it.

Okay I was at a friends house, he offered me a beer and I couldn't be rude... I didn't think you could buy the generic beer in a plain aluminum can with just BEER on the label with the usual gov BS warnings. I drank 1/4 of it then said I had to go to the bathroom, took it with and dumped it. Man that was NASTY. Skunky green no clue what the heck it was made from beer.

I bought one can from my local liquor store just because I had to try something that was called Beer. I knew it was going to be gross but I didn't expect it to be as gross as it was. To me it tasted like a very light mass produced pilsner with grape flavoring added.

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is pretty bad. I had it once and dumped it. I hate that it comes in their variety packs. I think Sam has been going down hill but they still make a few good beers that come in variety packs. That Cherry Wheat seems to always be in those packs that I want.

The two posts above have me wondering how in the hell do you mess up an amber ale?? That takes skill and effort.

Boulevard's brewmaster (Steven Pauwels) is Belgian born and raised.

Rye-on-Rye is one of my all-time favorite beers!

You should try Rye-on-Rye-on-Rye then, its like 14%! They just started bottling it in bombers this year.

The worst commercial beer I've had was the Star Trek 50th Anniversary Golden Ale (brewed under contract by Schmaltz). It had a real funky brett flavor that I wasn't expecting. Every bottle was a gusher. It was also murky and had weird stuff floating in it.

Might've been marketed to humans when it should've been only been sold to Klingon distributors. I hear they like their beer a little chunkier.

I have a new one..... I think I probably said Coors light previously. Budweiser is a close, now third...

Now it is Sierra Nevada Otra Ves. Gose style ale. Brewed with Prickly Pear Cactus with a hint of grapefruit. It is absolutely disgusting. Thankfully it was part of a variety pack and I only have to choke down 3 bottles. Half way through the second bottle and if anything it is worse than the first one. I was hoping that since I have already had 3 others previously today (a vacation day) that I would be inebriated enough that I wouldn't notice - WRONG! But I can also type so I guess I am not inebriated enough!!! Another sip - GAG!!!!

I have a new one..... I think I probably said Coors light previously. Budweiser is a close, now third...

Now it is Sierra Nevada Otra Ves. Gose style ale. Brewed with Prickly Pear Cactus with a hint of grapefruit. It is absolutely disgusting. Thankfully it was part of a variety pack and I only have to choke down 3 bottles. Half way through the second bottle and if anything it is worse than the first one. I was hoping that since I have already had 3 others previously today (a vacation day) that I would be inebriated enough that I wouldn't notice - WRONG! But I can also type so I guess I am not inebriated enough!!! Another sip - GAG!!!!

I kinda like Otra vez. Nice sour beer. Too expensive though for a session able beer. For $11 plus a six pack, give me at least 5% ABV, please.

I love me some Otra Vez. Different strokes I guess...

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is pretty bad. I had it once and dumped it. I hate that it comes in their variety packs. I think Sam has been going down hill but they still make a few good beers that come in variety packs. That Cherry Wheat seems to always be in those packs that I want.

Funny, the Cherry wheat is one of the only Sam beers that I do like. But I wholeheartedly admit I'm in the minority with that opinion.

Yep...i thought it was a great beer. If he is new to the style though I can see it being a little shocking.

Otra Vez is an awesome introduction into the Gose style and sour beers in general. I can see not liking it if you're not expecting a tart salty beer, but it is very well made and far from disgusting. Sierra Nevada does not put out bad beers.

Back