What would MacGuyver do? - variable speed pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordie

Reaction score
So I've got a March 809 pump and I was wondering whether or not it makes sense to try and rig some sort of bastardized dimmer switch to it to control the speed of the pump, rather than just cycling it off and on.

Anyone muck around with this? Even if it worked - would it be an improvement or just another collection of moving parts that will conspire to break at the opportune Murphy's Law moment?

Gordie

MacGuyver would pull a variable speed DC motor from a treadmill, DC power supply from an old computer, and rig it to the pump with some paper clips and a wad of bubble gum.

What would MacGruber do? Take the dc motor, the gum, and the power supply then wait till the last minute and the whole place blows up.

MACGRUBER!

Right. Now all I need is my Swiss Army knife, three roofing nails, some ordinary household bleach and a blue-green crayola...

Thanks for the advice. This idea is officialy dead.

Latest posts

Back