Gravity Readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixCoyote

Reaction score
Hello,
I have 2 different batches going in my primary's.I am worried about one. In primary #1 i have a Coopers no boil kit, my first try at one. It is an Australian Pale Ale. Mixed the can with 2.2 pounds of corn sugar. OG was 1.035, today, a week later it is 1.016. Still learning about readings but am thinking the OG is low. No where in the directions does it have an estimate OG. Can someone also please tell me how to calculate the ABV? Thanks.

In primary #2 i have a Pumpkin Ale. OG was 1.046, today, only 4 days later it is 1.014, so i know that is looking good. As usual i appreciate all of the great replys and advice. Thank You. Cheers!

Corn sugar has 1.037 extract potential for 1 Lb in 1 gallon and liquid extract has 1.037 to 1.039 extract potential per Lb in 1 gallon so with a 1.7 Kg can of liquid extract with the 1 Kg of corn sugar you are in there. The gravity of the pale ale is still high. I would expect it to drop to 1.010 for about 3.54 ABV

Back