Tell me this isn't fatal!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mturtle

Reaction score
So I have my first batch of cider 12 days into its primary fermentation, and have a couple unfortunate worries.

First the really bad one: Today the temperature in my region suddenly went up about 15 degrees, and when I came home from work, both my carboys had popped their s-locks off. I'm assuming the increase in temp upped the activity of the yeast(Wyeast ringwood ale smack-pack, 5gal cider batch) and caused a bunch of pressure to form, though there was no sign of foaming or mess around the carboys. I'm just praying nothing got in, or that there's enough alcohol to kill aything that might've. We'll see, I guess. The question here is, can a temperature hike like that kill the yeast? And, if so, can I add more at this stage of the game?

So that's really it; the cider's gravity has held at 1.025 for the last couple days. I believe it is still fermenting due to the sweetness and carbonation when tasted, and the continued bubbling in the s-lock. That and the gravity being where it is, which seems too high for a finished product?

I have no means of accurately testing the cider's temperature, but the room got up above 80F. Is my yeast dead?

Thanks for reading, and for any advice posed.

-M
:(

This isn't fatal.
Your house may have gotten above 80, but your brew did not. it would take a very long time for ambient temperature to heat your brew that high. It's not good for it, I would not make a habit of it, but heck, your yeast won't start dying off till around 120 or so.

Just chill out (literally) relax...have a few beers and don't worry about this stuff for a few more weeks. then you'll be ok.

Thanks all!

I moved it to the basement, where the atmospheric temp is generally 62-70 these days. I'd rather have it at the 70 end, but you never know in oregon. I know bread yeast begins activating at 53F, so I'm guessing that anything above 55 shoulf be fine for my cider.

Sweeeeeet.

-M

Back