Carbing and Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvp1

Reaction score
Hi y'all,

My beers are currently carbing on my patio (covered) where the temperature varies from 40-50F (4-10C)... I don't want to carb inside because I don't have a cooler or anything and as it's my first time brewing I don't want to risk any bombs.

I understand that carbing at a lower temperature means lower carbing, but if I carb at a lower temperature, do I take care of the carbonation and bottle conditioning at the same time, thus (potentially) shortening the process? Or at least not lengthening it?

...or should I just move the bottles inside and put them back later?

My basement is a consistent 50F, but I'm incredibly lazy and three flights of stairs separate me from it.

Hi y'all,

My beers are currently carbing on my patio (covered) where the temperature varies from 40-50F (4-10C)... I don't want to carb inside because I don't have a cooler or anything and as it's my first time brewing I don't want to risk any bombs.

I understand that carbing at a lower temperature means lower carbing, but if I carb at a lower temperature, do I take care of the carbonation and bottle conditioning at the same time, thus (potentially) shortening the process? Or at least not lengthening it?

If it's an ale, using ale yeast, the beer will never carb up at those cool temperatures. Usually, most ale yeast strains go dormant below 60 degrees. I haven't had much luck carbing up beer under 65 degrees. Even at 65 degrees, it takes longer but it does carb up. At 40-50, it never will.

Don't fear the bottle bombs. I've been brewing for a little over a year now and haven't seen one yet. Do they happen? Sure. Are they common? Not really.

Bring those little fellas inside and they'll carb right up. Listen to Yooper.

If it's an ale, using ale yeast, the beer will never carb up at those cool temperatures. Usually, most ale yeast strains go dormant below 60 degrees. I haven't had much luck carbing up beer under 65 degrees. Even at 65 degrees, it takes longer but it does carb up. At 40-50, it never will.

Figured. I had some carbonation but not enough, and that kind of makes sense. I'll bring them inside.

brrit said:
Don't fear the bottle bombs. I've been brewing for a little over a year now and haven't seen one yet. Do they happen? Sure. Are they common? Not really.

Bring those little fellas inside and they'll carb right up. Listen to Yooper.

Will do.

Latest posts

Back