Any hunters out here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BamaProud said:
If it flies crawls walks or swims(bowfishing) I've probably hunted it. love it! Heck I traveled over 5,000 (Atlanta to Buenos Aires) miles to hunt doves once.

Hard to beat a hot dove shoot. We used to dump them by the hundreds in Montana on public land

If it's furry, four legs, and its legal, I hunt it. If the freezer gets full, then I am done until there is room. Which dont happen very often since I am only able to get out a few times a year. If at all some years. I might get out only one day this season. Either way, I have to find powder, I have been procrastinating on rolling some fresh rounds for the rifles. The panic buying of everything ammo related makes it kinda difficult to restock supplies.

Hahahah! I have 3 freezers in my garage, mostly for meat and fish, although truthfully, since the kids are grown and gone I use only 2 of them and there seem to be more veggies in there than I remember.

We are the same way, if swims, flies, walks, craws and grows, we harvest from what nature provides and utilize it to the maximum of our abilities. We also are very willing to share with those we consider family and friends, and we teach them about hunting, fishing and foraging.

I'm probably unreasonable in my loathing of the term touchy feely used the way it was. Almost invalidates all the worthwhile and intelligent points made in the same post.

I'm probably unreasonable in my loathing of the term touchy feely used the way it was. Almost invalidates all the worthwhile and intelligent points made in the same post.

Nope, not unreasonable. It was grossly dismissive and entirely uncalled for. The poster he responded to was merely posing a philosophical question.

Runt scored a 243 from his grandfather and then shot a nice 8 point during the youth hunt this year.

1236303_728684060481345_1112438982_n.jpg

100 grain Interlock through the shoulder did him in nicely. Factory ammo.

I've been on a buying fiend lately to score the good stuff to reload for it. If I could just trip over some Lapua brass here locally.....

1383917_732908663392218_1268691376_n.jpg

564033_735722213110863_955952589_n.jpg

Does anyone think its odd that I have almost no interest whatsoever in the actual hunt... but I would really look forward to dressing and butchering an animal? All these great hunting stories and I skip ahead to the dressing/cooking/processing.

No not at all Creamy, as a matter of fact once game is down, from that point on it should be treated as food. The main problem when people say they don't like wild game, is it was handled wrong. It was not treated like a chef would treat a fine steak.
Teal, nice first buck! I have shot many, but even after 20 years I still remember my first. You should get it mounted. When I started reloading IMR 4350 (great powder) was $12 a one pound can. Now it what like 30ish?

No not at all Creamy, as a matter of fact once game is down, from that point on it should be treated as food. The main problem when people say they don't like wild game, is it was handled wrong. It was not treated like a chef would treat a fine steak.
Teal, nice first buck! I have shot many, but even after 20 years I still remember my first. You should get it mounted. When I started reloading IMR 4350 (great powder) was $12 a one pound can. Now it what like 30ish?

25 bucks a lb which really isn't bad.

Scored another 500 AMAXs today so I'm up around 1100 which should hold me until they start making them again.

Shot my elk last Saturday. Right at dusk. She dropped right where she stood (Winchester XP3, 180gr., 30-06). Ended up being a road not more than 200 yards from her so we could drive right up to load her. That's a trophy cow!

AZ_IPA said:
Shot my elk last Saturday. Right at dusk. She dropped right where she stood (Winchester XP3, 180gr., 30-06). Ended up being a road not more than 200 yards from her so we could drive right up to load her. That's a trophy cow!

Very nice!! Dude non packing elk are the best... Nice shot. Good eats

Awesome! The first moose I ever shot here in AK was on a gravel bar island in the middle of the Kuskokwim River about 2hrs south of McGrath. He was 68" spread on the rack and our native friends estimated him at about 1400lb and 7yrs old. We landed the boat and only had to pack him about 35 or 36 paces into the boat, on level gravel. Easiest pack I've ever done.

Awesome! The first moose I ever shot here in AK was on a gravel bar island in the middle of the Kuskokwim River about 2hrs south of McGrath. He was 68" spread on the rack and our native friends estimated him at about 1400lb and 7yrs old. We landed the boat and only had to pack him about 35 or 36 paces into the boat, on level gravel. Easiest pack I've ever done.

What did you shoot him with?

Browing A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .300 Win Mag Federal Vital-Shok 180gr. Nosler Partition SP Ammo at about 60 yards from a boat floating downstream. The shot took him through the near shoulder joint and he staggered but didn't go down. My Brother, driving the boat yells out he's a big one; better put another in him so I shot pretty much at my same aimpoint. Upon field dressing we discovered I had shot through the far shoulder joint also. Both shots totally destroyed his front shoulder joints. I never shot another moose with this rifle. I went to my Browning A-Bolt Medallion in 30.06 for all my moose and caribou hunts.

The best thing about hunting a drift down the river like this, is we make almost no noise, the moose actually seem a bit curious to see what we are and whether we're dangerous or not and so wait just a little longer before trying to run away. Also, it's a great way to pick off some Grouse gathering gravel along the banks with a pellet gun for the evening's dinner. We have been lucky to take some Black Bear while on these same drifts. it makes the cost of the hunts more acceptable. We don't use professional guides, just our friends that live in the villages. But freaking travel to and from those villages is expensive.
My wife is digging out my pictures; we've been starting to pack stuff away to move to the States later next year.

Just got back from South Dakota on our annual Pheasant shoot. Bird numbers are down but we did OK, and most importantly had a ton of fun. Ended up with 65 birds between 14 hunters.
644123_510060642354848_1565789364_n.jpg

2012-10-25173048.jpg

BamaProud said:
Just got back from South Dakota on our annual Pheasant shoot. Bird numbers are down but we did OK, and most importantly had a ton of fun. Ended up with 65 birds between 14 hunters.

Bird numbers are way down in Montana too. Many people cancelled their trips due to poor survival rate...

My parents live in sd and we had a great trip this year. We also hunt back in southern IL and have done well so far

It was a cold opening day in WI. It was 7* with a 20mph wind. I probably heard 20 shots all day, until the last 5 minutes. These 3 showed up and me and the guys got all 3.

Back