The Most You've Spent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyone

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious how much everyone out there has spent on one trip to the liquor store. There is this store near where I live that stocks 1300+ beers, and it seems like I can't go in there without spending $150 or more. Yesterday, it was $161.78, but the most I've ever spent was $204.36. So, who else out there is like a kid in a candy store when they see a massive micro/import selection?

I think the most I've spent at one time was about $142. That was for my house-warming party last summer. We ended up doing UFC in the backyard and I got two black eyes from being eye-gouged, but I submitted the guy anyway with a kimura. Whoops went OT for a second there.

Yeah, about $142.

Ha! Christ man...eye-gouging does not sound like a good time at all. I think I'd rather stick to watching UFC with my friends and putting people in kimuras that I DON'T like. Your quote in your sig line reminds me of a picture I took of oldschool, lol. He is actually using it as his profile pic. Check it out: http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/oldschool

On my 21st birthday I dumped around 100 bucks for beer. It was the first time I really had any good beer. 3 days later I was brewing...

That's a pretty quick turnaround for going from starting to drink good beer all the way to brewing. I first started drinking good beer when I was 19, but it took me awhile to get around to brewing. I started brewing at the age of 25. As with most people/things you love, you wish you had met them/started sooner.

Ha! Christ man...eye-gouging does not sound like a good time at all. I think I'd rather stick to watching UFC with my friends and putting people in kimuras that I DON'T like. Your quote in your sig line reminds me of a picture I took of oldschool, lol. He is actually using it as his profile pic. Check it out: http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/oldschool

The wife was pissed.

Nice picture. Did he actually drink some?

Hell yeah he drank some, lol! If you look at some of his other pics, there is one of him with his lips locked on to our bottling bucket (it wasn't our fermenter...not a true Fermenter Walrus). Although I don't think he has tasted any of the troob, I certainly have...let's just say I don't need to again. Look at this, you've got me hijacking my own thread, lol.:off:

We get to cinci once every few months. That's my only good bottle selection. The first time I walked in Jungle Jim's Beer Aisles I think I gave birth in my pants. Spent just over $150. That's the most I've spent.

I spent over $400 when stocking my bar with wine & liquor for the first time and I only bought the basics. It would cost well over $1k to stock a full bar. I don't drink much liquor but do entertain a lot and wanted to have at most drinks covered for guests.

On beer, the most I've spent is probably around $100.

Yeah, I remember when I got my first job/apartment...not only were there tons of random kitchen items I needed, but I needed a bunch of booze. Thank god I can buy a little liquor here and there as something runs out now, because that first expenditure is a killer. Really for the most part I just stick to my beer. Hell, I gave away a bottle of courvoisier last week since I wasn't drinking it.

Specifically at a liquor store, maybe $10. But, in my wino days, I could drop hundreds on cases during a tour. The most I've even spent on beer was $150 for a case of a seasonal at Golden Valley.

Assuming we are talking about on beer.

A few hundred dollars probably several times at Rogue Garage Sales.
Probably $300 or so for a big party once.
Probably $300 or so once driving back from a different state.
Over $400 in a beer bar once, for two people.

Typical trip is $20 give or take, but one of the best stores in my area is on my drive home from work so I don't feel the need to stock up.

That's a pretty quick turnaround for going from starting to drink good beer all the way to brewing. I first started drinking good beer when I was 19, but it took me awhile to get around to brewing. I started brewing at the age of 25. As with most people/things you love, you wish you had met them/started sooner.

Spending the hundred bucks is what made me brew. I quickly realized I loved good beer, but wasn't quite as willing to spend the money for it. The only real solution there was to make it myself.

Little did I know how much fun the actual brewing process was!

Wow $400 and i thought my $40 to $60 was was spending a lot. I don't usually stock up for more than a weekend. D@mn Indiana blue laws mean getting Sunday beer on Saturday.

Yea never spent that much on beer. Normally picking up a keg of some kind of BMC for a party is the most I have spent...so $200 on beer I guess. Kegs in CT right now, at least where I live, just went up to $100 for a keg of Bud Light.

Liquor....around $150 at the NH liquor store...that place is heaven!!

If multiple trips in the same night count, then I've done over $1200 for a party before. But that included about 25 kegs of Natty, and Rail Vodka.

Man am I glad college is over and I can indulge in good beer!

The most recent purchase was that bottle of Utopias and the other stuff. That was a 250 dollar trip. I've dropped a couple hundred at Alesmith alone. I'm sure I've hit 300 dollars a few times on special releases and things that were at the store at the same time.

Yeah, I'd be afraid of what might happen if all my favorite beers, along with a bunch of rare ones, ended up in the same place...running out of cash, maxing out cards, bouncing checks....bankruptcy!

I typically drop about $150 per trip to the liquor store. I'll get a bottle of nice bourbon, a bottle or two of mead, and a few high gravity beers. It's not unusual for me to spend $200-300 in a month. That's in addition to my homebrews. I have a problem.

On just beer probably around $100 or so. In college when only one guy had a good fake then I think we made a trip at about $280 for a party but that was including liquor as well. If you count wine then probably a few times in the $250 range for a case sometimes.

I typically drop about $150 per trip to the liquor store. I'll get a bottle of nice bourbon, a bottle or two of mead, and a few high gravity beers. It's not unusual for me to spend $200-300 in a month. That's in addition to my homebrews. I have a problem.

Eh, I spend a lot of beer and brewing but I still spend less than my coworkers who play golf. Beer is a cheap hobby.

It was hard to spend $400 at a beer bar, but very easy to spend it at a steak house drinking wine. So wine people have a high cost hobby too.

You can live like a king as a beer geek with relatively little money, compared to any other kind of alcohol and many other hobbies as well.

I went into a store in KC (which shall remain unnamed) that has a great beer selection. There were three workers there and when I went to check out I had a couple Rocheforts, a Chimay, a Mephistopheles, and a six pack of Pyramid Apricot.

They said, "Oh do you want to do a 8.99 Make-Your-Own Six Pack with these bottles?".
I said, "Uh, these aren't in the make your own section."
They said, "Oh, yeah but you can still do that with them."
I said, "Uh, this one bottle is 7.99."
One worker said, "Yeah, every day someone comes in and is completely surprised that you can make your own with those."
I said, "Okay, sure," paid about 20 bucks and walked out with the best 9-buck sixer ever.

My friend, who lives about 3 minutes from the store, didn't believe me. We went back the next day and I asked all three employees if I could make my own sixer with the Belgian, German, and other beers. One employee walked over to the section and said, "Yep."

Spent a couple hundred bucks that day...Left with about 15 six packs of Rochefort, Chimay, Piraat. I paid them another few visits since then. The same workers are there, but the "problem" has been corrected.

They said, "Oh do you want to do a 8.99 Make-Your-Own Six Pack with these bottles?".
I said, "Uh, these aren't in the make your own section."
They said, "Oh, yeah but you can still do that with them."
I said, "Uh, this one bottle is 7.99."
One worker said, "Yeah, every day someone comes in and is completely surprised that you can make your own with those."
I said, "Okay, sure," paid about 20 bucks and walked out with the best 9-buck sixer ever.

Holy hell! That my friend, was you doing the right thing and it paying off. Can't feel bad about trying to tell them that they aren't part of the mix/match. Man...I think I would have been maxing cards that day. I wish something like that would happen to me.

I really tried to explain to them the utter absurdity of making a 9-buck sixer with 8-buck beers, but they weren't having any of it. What's also crazy is that it wasn't the same workers both days.

Wow $400 and i thought my $40 to $60 was was spending a lot. I don't usually stock up for more than a weekend. D@mn Indiana blue laws mean getting Sunday beer on Saturday.

Man I am glad CO finally got over that Blue Law nonsense. When I first moved here from NYC I was told that you cannot buy good beer on Sunday. I almost had a heart attack. Man those days were brutal!!:p

Probably $150 or so.

Binny's has a ton of beers I've never had before, so I've been buying a lot lately.

I'm a cheapass and I've only been to a true bottleshop once (it's about 45 minutes away, so I have to get most of my micro fix at grocery stores). That one time, I was so overwhelmed, but still managed to buy only $40 worth of beer.

I can't wait to go back when I'm a bit more "prepared."

The most was about $400 but that was mostly hard liquor for a party. Usually, it's about $100 if I'm going to the liquor store or BevMo.

I had a chat earlier today with BevMo. They assisted me, along with Jess at AleSmith, in finding some AleSmith near San Luis Obispo, CA. It seems that there is a wine shop in Templeton that packs one of the beverages of my dreams. Now, hopefully I can talk my brother into going up there before he comes home for the holidays. I'm not sure he realizes how big of a deal this is…

Here in VA beer is sold anywhere but true liquor is sold only in state stores. For beer, I don't spend much since I brew my own but the liquor bill for our yearly tiki party easily exceeds $500 depending on what we decide to serve. Most of that is for the cheapest Tequila I can find, which is still about $23 a liter.

I dropped $1295 on a bottle of millenium edition Louis XIII other than that most I have spent is around $180 buying for my halloween parties

last December, my buddy and I stocked up his beer fridge for New Year's and bowl season. Plus a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle will boost the tab pretty quick. Don't remember the total, but it was around $300+.

IMG_1108_small.jpg

IMG_1113_small.jpg

I'm worse at the bar with a friend. Especially the pricey beer bars around boston. I've dropped a 200 bar tab between me and a friend, strictly on beer. And yes I staggered out. I actually just went to a great beer store about 30 or so minutes away from me in acton ma called colonial spirits. Jaw dropping in comparison of what I'm used to in variety and volume. I couldn't believe I only spent 35 dollars yesterday.

Back