Mashing Minute Rice/Other processed grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrick

Reaction score
Ok, so I used the one pound of minute rice when I made the cream of 3 crops 5 gallon batch this last weekend. It got me thinking of how much this adds to the final fermentable bill and how much of it you can mash and convert in other recipes and what it would bring to the party. I know if gummed up my mash a bit at just one pound and I can use rice hulls to free it up a bit if more were used. Anyone have experience using more than a pound of this before? And what other off the grocery store shelf stuff can you use to mash with?

boil the heck out of the rice...i think i boiled two pounds for an hour..I just kept adding water, then added it to the mash with some rice hulls. No issues at all, and the rice completely disappeared after an hour mash. I think I did a cereal mash too. Long time ago, no notes that I can find.

Good Luck with it.

Back