how long for brett starter before I pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mesooohoppy

Reaction score
So, I made a starter yesterday with some wlp645 (2/12). I was planning on brewing on 2/15, although I did some reading earlier and found out that brett starters should be given atleast a week?

So, should I wait until next weekend to brew (2/20-21)? My target OG is 1.050.

Not sure if it matters, but the best by date on the vial is 3/28. Was shipped to me via mail with an ice pack; the brew store is only approx 4 hours away.

Per American Sours, it is recommended for a starter to go at least a week before pitching for use in primary.

Not trying to jack your thread but did you see signs of activity on your starter in a reasonable amount of time? I'm on day 2 with no activity on my 1.030 starter. I can't seem to find any details on Brett signs of life.

I would give it at least a week. When using Brett as a primary yeast I've done 2 step starters, about a week each. That's on a stir plate as well.

Per American Sours, it is recommended for a starter to go at least a week before pitching for use in primary.

Not trying to jack your thread but did you see signs of activity on your starter in a reasonable amount of time? I'm on day 2 with no activity on my 1.030 starter. I can't seem to find any details on Brett signs of life.

I made mine on 2/12, and I didn't see any activity until last night. Going to give it a few more days before I step it up.

I would give it at least a week. When using Brett as a primary yeast I've done 2 step starters, about a week each. That's on a stir plate as well.

Saw the first signs of activity last night, very slow mover! Although, I'm glad it finally got moving.

I'll have to buy a bigger flask and step it up this weekend. I need to get a stir plate as well.

Thanks for the help!

Back