Upgrading our burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kulprit

Reaction score
Ok so we started out with my old turkey fryer that I had for a few years - that worked ok but it just took forever to get things to boil etc. It wasn't very efficient.

Then last winter I grabbed a bayou classic from lowes and figured I would be set with that.

Well at our last brew that burner basically crapped out and wouldn't get the second batch to even boil. We hoped it was just a clogged screen or something and gave it a good look over and couldn't figure it out (mind you my buddy works with a propane company so he knows his way around them).

Basically we are resigned to just bite the bullet and buy a good burner. We figure it's a piece of equipment that we will use a lot and so is worth spending some money on.

So my question is what is, if there is one, the general consensus as to the best burner for home brewing. Right now we are just doing extract kits, and we plan to start doing 10gal batches with that, and then moving along the brewing evolution ladder - lol.

Is the one at AHS really good? http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_415&products_id=10472

I should mention that we do not need the pot or any of the turkey fryer stuff as I now have two kits in my garage for that sort of stuff, and we have two keggles ready to use.

That one looks like the Bayou Classic KAB4 (banjo cooker) which you can get at Amazon for $65. I think Bayou Classic's stuff is generally well regarded. Not sure what went wrong with yours though.

I have the same burner that I bought from Amazon for $25 but that was just the burner no stand. I built my heavy duty stand and bought the upgraded regulator rated at 30 psi and is adjustable. This is a Bad ass burner and will bring anything to a boil fast. I only use it to heat my strike water I find it to much for my boil so I use the turkey fryer burner.

DSCF0310.jpg
[/IMG]

That one looks like the Bayou Classic KAB4 (banjo cooker) which you can get at Amazon for $65. I think Bayou Classic's stuff is generally well regarded. Not sure what went wrong with yours though.

Awesome - thanks - saved me a few bucks.

Allows me to now go with the 50' IC that we so dearly need - haha.

Also got me thinking - anyone know where I can get a decent thermometer? One of the two I have is way off and I just can't trust it so in an effort to keep the new beer gear totally seperate from the turkey frying etc stuff I wanted to get something decent.

If you have a house that already has natural gas you may want to look into some natural gas burners and stub a line out to where you brew, that way you never run out of propane.

Stupid question - but the model linked above - that will securely hold a keggle right?

Just wanted to make sure before I order one up.

sheesh - figures in the 36 hours I was considering this purchase Amazon moved the price up to $79 - they must moniter for links from HBT and know a sale is coming so they jack it up - lol.

Either way I ordered this and am looking forward to seeing what it can do!

sheesh - figures in the 36 hours I was considering this purchase Amazon moved the price up to $79 - they must moniter for links from HBT and know a sale is coming so they jack it up - lol.

Either way I ordered this and am looking forward to seeing what it can do!

I get free shipping on the item beats out any other place still with the shipping free. I might pick that up.... just dont like the frame of it... :(

I get free shipping on the item beats out any other place still with the shipping free. I might pick that up.... just dont like the frame of it... :(

Yea we have already discussed making a larger frame for it out of some angle iron or something so we can comfortably have a keggle on it.

Still waiting for it to arrive - will let ya know what I think once I get it/test it.

Ok so I came home from work today and it was sitting on my front porch.

Holy good God - this thing looks like it was shipped through Iraq. The box was completely destroyed. It's amazing they even got it to me with all the parts.

First impression - this thing is heavy. As I was carrying it onto my back deck it broke off from my hands (see crappy packaging above) and crushed a dime sized divot into my hardwood floors. This thing is heavy duty.

I obviously haven't used it yet - will fire it up this weekend, but after looking it over it seems really sturdy and strong as I had heard horror stories about legs being broken off on delivery etc.

I don't have my keggles at my house at the moment so unfortunately I can't see how they would fit without any doctoring of the stand if needed but I will post when I can get some info on that.

Holy good God - this thing looks like it was shipped through Iraq. The box was completely destroyed. It's amazing they even got it to me with all the parts.

Yep. I ordered my 30qt S/S fryer and burner in Sept 07 from them, and a SQ14 burner from them in Feb 08, and both boxes got here looking like they had been kicked to death by an angry mob. Products were mostly intact though.

I'm jealous, I really want a KAB now. :)

Back