New Hop Garden - How many can I fit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almighty

Reaction score
I found some parts around the yard yesterday so I built a quick hop garden. But being a first time hop growing I'm not sure how many rhizomes I should plant in this space. The section of garden is 4' by 4' and the pole is 10' with 8 pieces of twine that will be staked down.
1116y3d.jpg

262xvs2.jpg

154vo7a.jpg

sor7uw.jpg

I was thinking 1 Cascade and 1 Kent Goldings

Thanks

spread them out and it seems like you could get more than two.. This is my first year so take that with a grain of salt.

4X4 and I believe I am looking at a pipe that is tapped into your sprinkler system from the above pic?
Whether underground or part of your drip system, I would recommend 4 hills, 2 of each kind. Since you are limited to surface area, plant 5 rhizomes in each hill. That is going to allow you to fill out each twine. Place an "underground barrier" b/w the different types(if it works but have never had to do it) and go from there. Either way, you need to think "vertically". You only have so much ground to work with, so go bulk high.
Last season, I had a three year old Chinook hill that took 4 strans of twine that were fully wrapped and that hill had 5 rhizomes to start.
Have a great time with them:)

Back