glass display cabinet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockytop714

Reaction score
All,

I plan to start building a display cabinet for my collection of beer glasses relatively soon. I will stain the outside of the cabinet and the shelves, but I'm trying to pick a color for the back of the cabinet. I want to use a color that will make the screen printing or etching on the glasses the most visible and I'm not sure what might work best.

So I wanted to check in, here, with those of you who may have built something similar and find out what you've found to work or what doesn't work so well. I initially thought that white would work well for the screen printed glasses, but it will hide the etching on etched glasses.Maybe just keep it all woodgrain?

I look forward to hearing your suggestions. Thanks!

You could go with a piece of maple in the back. It's light colored. If you match it well, you can make a very nice looking cabinet. Personally I like matching maple and cherry. very nice contrast.

Thanks for the pointers.

I plan to use oak for the cabinet, so that it matches the trim in the room, but I think maple could still be a very nice option.

You should probably get a couple of scraps of wood and small cans of stain and test out what works for you - my thought is that etched glasses will need a darker background, like a walnut -

well, I'd thought that maybe a darker background might be a good idea for the etched glasses and had considered possibly even painting the inside of it black, but the more I thought about the more I realized that it would make it look a lot like particle board "kit" furniture. so I will probably use a stain, instead.

I think what I will probably do first is go through all of my glasses and see how many of them actually are etched. I really don't think that there are that many, so it might not even be worth worrying about them, as much as the screen printed ones. there's really no reason not to make two cases, either. So I could do a big one for the printed glasses and a smaller one for the etched ones, if there are enough to warrant it.

either way, I might do a couple sample pieces, then hold a glass in front of them and see what works best.

Thanks for the input!

Back