Best way to aviod a hangover!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dokken5

Reaction score
OK, so I am getting hangovers really bad, and I am not really even drinking that much. No hard stuff, just beer. What is the best way to avoid this?

Agreed, make sure you have some food in you (real food not just like a handful of pretzels), and drink as much water as you do beer. I've read that B vitamins can help reduce hangovers (conveniently, yeasty dregs of homebrew are chock full of B vitamins).

I have heard the best way to avoid a hangover is to not drink. Seems pretty suspicious to me though...

This is suspect at best, and definitely not grounded in science.

Eat well, drink a glass of water for every beer, and turn in early. I find that 90% of my hangovers are just lack of sleep, unless I just pound them down, in which case...I did it to myself and I just man up.

I'd suggest you experiment with aspirin/ibuprofen, water, and electrolytes to see which combination works best for you. I've found that I can tie on one and as long as I force myself to drink 2 pints of water before bed I'm at least 90% when I wake up because my hangovers are largely dehydration. ymmv

Are you drinking homebrewed beer or commercial or both? Sometimes if homebrew is fermented too hot it can have a lot of fusel alcohols which will make you hungover easier

I'd suggest you experiment with aspirin/ibuprofen, water, and electrolytes to see which combination works best for you. I've found that I can tie on one and as long as I force myself to drink 2 pints of water before bed I'm at least 90% when I wake up because my hangovers are largely dehydration. ymmv

THIS! Keep Gatorade or Pedialyte on hand at all times! Right before you hit the pillow drink a pint or 2 of either. You will be AMAZED at the difference you feel when you wake up. Just that alone changed my life! Now add V B12, D and C to the mix! HOLY CRAP rarely will I EVER feel less than 99% when I wake up after any drinking at all.

Good luck!

Cheers
Jay

THIS! Keep Gatorade or Pedialyte on hand at all times! Right before you hit the pillow drink a pint or 2 of either. You will be AMAZED at the difference you feel when you wake up. Just that alone changed my life! Now add V B12, D and C to the mix! HOLY CRAP rarely will I EVER feel less than 99% when I wake up after any drinking at all.

Good luck!

Cheers
Jay

Now thats some professional "How to **** up your liver and not feel it" advice..i like!:mug::tank:

Limiting myself to a maximum of three pints of normal strength beer does it for me and I'm pretty fine with that. Should there be a proper effing bender going, then I need to make sure I can take the next day completely off (you know from family duties), as I'd only be good for watching crappy movies, sleeping and eating crappy food the whole day.
I do get hungover pretty easily, so I try to avoid it, but when I do get hungover, I just embrace it :)

+5 on the Pedialyte recommendation. Went on a bender this past Friday night and had heard about Pedialyte being a good cure. So Saturday morning got some of it, drank a liter of it, took a nap a couple hours later, woke up after an hour and felt like a million bucks.

As someone else suggested on keeping it to 3 pints a night, that works well as a preventative measure. I do this thing where if I limit myself to no more than 50 ounces of beer (regardless of ABV, style, etc), I'm fine the next day. So 50 ounces is always the goal max, sometimes though, doesn't quite work.:)

Are you drinking homebrewed beer or commercial or both? Sometimes if homebrew is fermented too hot it can have a lot of fusel alcohols which will make you hungover easier

Yup - fusel alcohol is a *****. If you're drinking homebrew and you don't have good fermentation temp controls, that could be part of the problem.

I made an Arrogant Bastard clone a few years ago that tasted great, but I'm pretty sure it had fusels. If I had 1 glass, I was down for the count the next day. I ended up dumping it because it wasn't worth the pain.

OP, how much water do you drink through the day? How hydrated you are makes a difference I think. How much beer are you drinking when you start to notice the hangovers? Maybe just find a sweet spot and limit yourself to that. I don't start feeling it the next morning until I have like 4+ pints. But that doesn't really stop me. It also depends on how fast you drink as well. The best drinking sessions are when you can drink a lot of beer, but it's so spaced out that you don't really ever get more than a buzz. Usually always feel just fine the next morning.

Follow the advice given above
1. Drink water and space out your drinking
2. Eat plenty of healthy food
3. Gatorade/Pedialyte before bed
4. B Vitamins before bed. I use the MEGAMAN series from GNC
5. Ny-Quil before bed.

The B-vitamins replenish what was stripped out of your body. And the Ny-quil allows you to sleep after the depressive effects of the alcohol wear off and your body wants to wake-up (the reason you're usually tired after a night of a bit too much alcohol).

This is NOT a healthy thing to do. But it works and gets me to 80-85% on days when I'd normally be operating at <50%.

5. Ny-Quil before bed.

The B-vitamins replenish what was stripped out of your body. And the Ny-quil allows you to sleep after the depressive effects of the alcohol wear off and your body wants to wake-up (the reason you're usually tired after a night of a bit too much alcohol).

This is NOT a healthy thing to do. But it works and gets me to 80-85% on days when I'd normally be operating at <50%.

# 5 is terrible advice. Nyquil contains acetaminophen (Tylenol), which in combination with alcohol is terrible for your liver. If you must take pain relief for a hangover, NSAIDS (ibuprofen, asprin,naproxen) are better choices.

I get the worst hangovers known to man

We are talking: puking in the shower on my hands and knees crying for my mommy from 6am to 3pm the next day (not exaggerating, I've actually done that. I'm not proud).

I have done this before. Trust me I'm a professional.

Here's my system: I try to stop drinking 1-2 hours before bed, take 600-800mg ibuprofen, drink at least 1 liter of water and eat something, then I drink a rock star hydration drink the next morning after I eat bacon.

Staying hydrated seems to be most important for me. So plenty of water before bed.

Good luck!

Cheers
Jay

5. Ny-Quil before bed.

This has worked for me for years:

1 bottle of Gatorade and one Advil or ibuprofen substitute before hitting the pillow. As soon as you wake up in the morning after your first long pee start another Gatorade and one vitamin B12. Then eat something simple like toast, and go back to bed.

DO NOT AS ADVISED TAKE NYQUIL AFTER DRINKING OR WHEN DRUNK!!! My close friend who is a doctor says it can actually cause long term damage or even death.

Good luck brother... &#127867;

Milk thistle. I am in the same camp. Get horrible hangovers now and used to never get them. Milk thistle has really helped.

Sasquatch fur
Unicorn hoof
Werewolf tooth
Phantom froth
Porky pickle
Canary kitsch
Rhinoceros rind

1 part each with a glass of beer. Avoid water.

I dunno. This seems the same to me as bee pollen, coconut water, and
milk thistle, but I haven't tried them either.

Stay fit.

I haven't actually tested the theory, but I'm sure as my fitness deteriorates my hangovers are gettign worse

stop drinking 1-2 hours before bed

This. Everyone is different, but I've found a major correlation between beers close to bed-time and hangovers. I shoot for a two hour window between that last pint and going to bed. Plus I chug waters during that window. Between that strategy and brewing almost exclusively 4.5 - 5% beers, I feel just fine in the mornings.

In college I rarely got hangovers and when I did I always thought it was sort of hilarious and I'd just embrace it. Fast forward ten years and it's not nearly as comical.

Cheers and enjoy the brew.

I feel like it has something to do with age too. I know people have a harder time after 25 recovering from drinking. I have a few friends that basically always feel hung over if they go over 2 drinks. I myself don't feel hung over that much but do notice my body and mind are a bit sluggish the next day if I have had a few.

protein how ever you can get it and super b12, with any bread and your set, first caffeine enters the blood stream faster than most things we intake so take a Excedrin migraine pill which has pain meds and caffeine along with the super b12 then protein like cheese or any meet and a piece of bread then a full glass of water, everything will hitch a ride with the caffeine and enter your body quick, now you cant just do this without getting you blood flowing so you'll need to walk or exercise a bit at least to get your heart rate up, trust me it works

Two aspirin before bed (if you can remember) or two aspirin while drinking and can still remember. Done. You'll wake up dehydrated but without that headache.

Exs cousins where nurse anesthesia, they would put in a iv prior to going out, come home wasted and hook up a fluid bag and pass out. Would wake up fine

Back