Wort Cooler Timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerowatts

Reaction score
Is timing a serious issue when it comes to cooling the batch? I have read that the wort cooler is really good, I assume by price that larger diameter of the copper tubing the faster the results (judging by price), but then I have read that many people just use an ice bath.

One obviously is considerably quicker than the other, so my question is how important is the timing to cool down? What effects do time have, for example if I were to just let it cool at room temperature? Would it be a more bitter beer? Lastly, when people say there are differences how relative is that to their own taste perception in comparison to the rest of the world - us non-experts, would I notice a major difference in taste or is it just a minor difference?

Is timing a serious issue when it comes to cooling the batch? I have read that the wort cooler is really good, I assume by price that larger diameter of the copper tubing the faster the results (judging by price), but then I have read that many people just use an ice bath.

One obviously is considerably quicker than the other, so my question is how important is the timing to cool down? What effects do time have, for example if I were to just let it cool at room temperature? Would it be a more bitter beer? Lastly, when people say there are differences how relative is that to their own taste perception in comparison to the rest of the world - us non-experts, would I notice a major difference in taste or is it just a minor difference?

It's really not so much a matter of taste, its about protecting the wort from potential infections/bacteria/bugs/germs...

When your wort is boiling, it is pretty safe, not much can live at those temps. Once the yeast starts producing co2 gas in the fermenter, it's fairly safe because not much can live in a co2 rich environment. So the concern is between, boiling and fermenting. The quicker you can get there, the less chance of problems.

A lot of folks use ice baths when they start, but when you move to larger batches, it becomes difficult to physically move your boil kettle so cooling systems are more necessary.

You will probably get input from many folks, but bottom line... ice baths are fine as long as you can manage it and it works for you.

What size batches are you doing? If you are doing partial boils around 2-3 gallons, then an ice bath should work fine. If you are doing 5 gallon full boils then you may want to invest in a copper wort chiller. Or check out the DIY section there are plenty of threads there to help you build your own.

The only flavour issue I'm aware of is DMS and that would only be a problem for all grain lagers where pilsner malt is used. It results in a "cooked corn" flavour and aroma. It will continue to develop while the wort is above about 160F I believe.

GT

Captain Bigelow nailed it. I just completed my second batch of wort. For both batches I was able to cool the wort to an ideal temp in about 15 minutes (give or take) with an ice bath. I believe John Palmer recommends a wort cooler for full boils.

It also facilitates a good cold-break where a lot of the haze forming proteins drop out of solution, and if you're careful (read lucky) you can keep most of these out of your fermenter.

you can cool it slowly to room temperature, look up the "no chill" method. It does make a more bitter beer so you have to adjust your hop additions.

Back