Second Pitching to Decrease time in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all. Newbie question, I've got a Weizenbock that will currently take about 18 days in the carboy. I'm travelling for business a couple days before it's due, so I'd like to bottle before I leave.

Will it either help or hurt for me to do a second pitching of my Weihenstephan liquid yeast? Namely, would it decrease fermentation time without adding anything negative to the brew?

Thanks for reading, let me know what you think!

Pitching more yeast is most likely just a waste of yeast. Once the sugars are consumed by the yeast you could add all the yeast you want and the only thing that would happen is that your beer has more yeast in it.

At 18 days it has most likely been done for about a week, so check for final gravity and bottle it.

Okay, thanks for this. What are the benefits to letting the beer sit in the primary if it's done fermenting? Will bottling it stop any of these beneficial processes?

Yeast is done when its done.Adding more wont help you. Leaving it in the fermerter longer allows the yeast to clean up themselves if you had less then steller fermentation conditions causing off flavors. Sort of like a time heals all wounds kind of thing.At 18 days your past that point or close to it...I would bottle now.

[...] At 18 days your past that point or close to it...I would bottle now.

Well, the OP is predicting it will take 18 days, he's not there yet, I reckon.

So let it go as long as you can, read gravity and if done, bottle. To determine if it's done, also take a gravity reading 3 days before you intend to bottle. If they match and are on or near your predicted FG, it's ready to bottle.

Yeast is done when its done.Adding more wont help you. Leaving it in the fermerter longer allows the yeast to clean up themselves if you had less then steller fermentation conditions causing off flavors. Sort of like a time heals all wounds kind of thing.At 18 days your past that point or close to it...I would bottle now.

Actually, the clean up happens simultaneously with fermentation, not afterwards.

Actually, the clean up happens simultaneously with fermentation, not afterwards.
Really???
This is the first I've ever heard that? So your saying the second fermentation is finished you should rack to keg/bottle...That goes against pretty much every opinion on the forum.
I know you CAN rack directly after you reach FG but just about everybody leaves the beer on the yeast a few extra days.

If you conducted a proper fermentation, there's no reason to leave it longer. Here's a quote from John Palmer that will appear in an upcoming BYO article I wrote...

"Yeast have 3 phases in their life cycle: Adaptation, High Growth, and Stationary. (See Yeast by CW and Jamil) They do not have a maturation phase where they clean up byproducts. Adaptation phase is where they take in oxygen and build sterols and other lipids, assess the sugar composition and build enzymes, etc. Once those activities are done, they start the High Growth Phase, eating and reproducing. The number of cell divisions is limited by their lipid reserves they made during Adaptation. These reserves are shared with each daughter cell. When those lipid reserves are exhausted, the cell stops reproducing. In addition, when those reserves are exhausted, the cell is old and cannot eat or excrete waste efficiently across it’s cell membrane. A yeast cell typically can reproduce about 4 times during a typical fermentation, after that it is old and tired and tends to enter Stationary phase where it shuts down most of its metabolism and flocculates, waiting for the next batch of aerated wort. Stationary phase is essentially an inactivity phase, resting on the bottom.

Like I said, no conditioning phase as far as the yeast are concerned. Byproducts can be consumed at any point during the high growth phase, but they are a lower energy source than sugar, so guess what? Byproducts are not a biological priority. The brewer therefore needs to plan his pitching rate and fermentation conditions such that the yeast run out of fermentable wort sugar before their lipid reserves are exhausted and they go into stationary phase. Now you have a majority of vigorous yeast that have only undergone 2 reproductions (for example), the sugar is gone, and they are still hungry, so they turn to acetaldehyde and diacetyl as alternate energy sources and maturate the beer. You can help this by doing a diacetyl rest by raising the temperature a few degrees after the first half of fermentation, to keep the yeast active and eating. Where in the fermentation? after the first half, 2/3 to 3/4, when most of the attenuation has occured and raising the temperature is not going to cause rampant growth and the off-flavors associated with it. "

I may try that bit at the end regarding raising the temperature, it sounds interesting. I brewed five gallons of a sierra nevada clone this weekend (Sunday) and I have it set at 70 right now. This weekend maybe I'll take it up to 73 - 74.

Really???
This is the first I've ever heard that? So your saying the second fermentation is finished you should rack to keg/bottle...That goes against pretty much every opinion on the forum.
I know you CAN rack directly after you reach FG but just about everybody leaves the beer on the yeast a few extra days.

I'd argue that the whole "yeast cleaning up after themselves" is right up there with the "CO2 blanket" myth...

Oft repeated, but never proven. :mug:

It's my experience that it is time itself that leads to a "cleaned up" taste, not the yeast. (And it's probably just because it takes time for complete flocculation - if you have the ability to cold crash and/or filter out yeast, there's no reason to leave it on the yeast)

I'd argue that the whole "yeast cleaning up after themselves" is right up there with the "CO2 blanket" myth...

Oft repeated, but never proven. :mug:

It's my experience that it is time itself that leads to a "cleaned up" taste, not the yeast. (And it's probably just because it takes time for complete flocculation - if you have the ability to cold crash and/or filter out yeast, there's no reason to leave it on the yeast)

Agreed. I can have a 1.050-70 ale from grain to glass in 7-10 days.

Okay, great. So I've got a stout in bottles right now that still tastes pretty "yeasty". Will the taste still clean up if I let it sit in bottles for a bit? The background taste is good, but the yeast comes through pretty strong right now.

Just to make sure I'm understanding, y'all think I'll be fine if I bottle it a little early, and it'll still be able to clean itself up in bottles? Thanks for the help!

It'll be ok to bottle "early" if and only if your hydrometer tells you that fermentation is actually complete. If you're at FG - the gravity remains unchanged for 3 or more days - then it's safe to bottle and just let the beer condition further in the bottles. If you're not at FG, bottling now can lead to bottle bombs.

Back