Fermcap-s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelersrbrun

Reaction score
I'm just interested in how everyone uses the product. My primary concern is in the fermentor. Do you add, rack and pitch or Rack, pitch and add? Do you add directly when you see active kraussen rising? Just curious for the proper application of the product.

When I did use it, I put the recommended drops right on top of the wort in the fermenter, after pitching.

Honestly, I just ran out one day and never re-ordered. I have 6.5 gallon fermenters, so blowoffs aren't to common of an occurrence.

I too add it when pitching. I have also added it to the kettle to keep from major boil over., not sure if this was a waist or not.

I use it when I have more in the kettle than is safe to boil (without making a mess)... IF I'm fermenting close to the capacity of the fermenter, I add some then too, before oxygenating (pure O2 setup). Typically 2-3 drops per gallon of whatever volume I'm adding it to. So different amounts if I go for pre-boil or pre-oxygenation.

Honestly, I just ran out one day and never re-ordered. I have 6.5 gallon fermenters, so blowoffs aren't to common of an occurrence.

I have 6.5 also, and I have had my carboy puking thick creamy yeast with every high gravity brew I've done. I just did a smaller scottish 80 and that was the final straw. The frigde was just caked with yeast before I even knew it. Way too much cleaning for me.

I use it when I have more in the kettle than is safe to boil (without making a mess)... IF I'm fermenting close to the capacity of the fermenter, I add some then too, before oxygenating (pure O2 setup). Typically 2-3 drops per gallon of whatever volume I'm adding it to. So different amounts if I go for pre-boil or pre-oxygenation.

You add it before the O2 so it mixes ?

I have been using ferm cap for about 6 months. I brew 5 gallon batches so that about 6 1/2 gallons in the kettle. I add 12 drops right before it boils. I don't add any more in the carboy and never had a boil over or blow off. I use 6 1/2 gallon carboy and 5 1/2 gallon of beer in them.

Add it to the kettle when filling before you bring it to a boil and at flameout before whirlpool. I'm a professional brewer and that's how I use it on all my beer.

I havent had to use it in the fermenter yet but I use it in my boil on big beers that run the risk of boiling over. I have heard once you add it your good, meaning if you add it in the boil you don't need to add more to the fermenter, not sure if that is completely true maybe someone has experience with that and can chime in.

Add it to the kettle when filling before you bring it to a boil and at flameout before whirlpool. I'm a professional brewer and that's how I use it on all my beer.

Going to use this technique today. Brewing up a honey braggot today with 4lbs of honey....should end up just over 11%. This should be a good test for it. :mug:

Latest posts

Back