Stabilising or not.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeymu

Reaction score
I would like to explore bottling home brewed wines without using stabilising chemicals.

If the wine is not to be back-sweetened with fermentables, and there is only a small air gap in the bottle, is it not possible to even leave out the campden (potassium metabisulphate) tablet, since there will not be much oxygen in there?

That's what I do. Of course, I haven't been at it that long, but so far so good.

I make dry white wine in the fall and start drinking it the next May and by August its all gone so I don't worry about adding any chemicals. I bulk age it in a carboy until May
then "bottle" in 1/2 gallon jugs. When I open one it stays in the refridgerator until finished.
My red wine has to age 1-2 years and I add campden at racking.
Commercial wineries have to use chemicals because they have no way of knowing how the wine will be stored/handled or how long until it it consumed.

With <1/8" of head-space in 750ml bottles, I found it very hard to get past 18 months without serious oxidation in strawberry and plum wine. Per others here, I started bottling with a 1/4 - 1/2 dose of k-meta, and early signs are encouraging.

--SiletzSpey

@siletzspey What were the symptoms? Did you only realize when you tasted it, or was there some other way to determine what was happening?

Back