stuck fermentation with a Belgian Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moti_mo

Reaction score
OK, so I should have studied up a bit more on high gravity brewing before attempting my first Belgian Strong, but whatever, I'm learning. My original gravity was over 1.10 and I only pitched one smack pack of Wyeast 1388 - first mistake - should have pitched another or maybe even three to get the cell count up. Second mistake - wasn't keeping up rigorously with the temps in my basement, so after a week of vigorous fermentation, the temps probably averaged 66 - 68. After two weeks, I checked the gravity and it was ~1.044.

Trying to unstick the fermentation, I added a pack of Red Star dry champagne yeast, didn't re-oxygenate, and put a space heater near the cubby the carboy sits in to raise the temp up to ~74. After a couple of days, assuming enough oxygen (from opening to check gravity and re-pitch) had been forced out by the CO2, I did a little bit of light shaking to get some of the yeast at the bottom re-suspended. It has seemed to make a difference, and I've been seeing the bubble rate go up over the last 3 days (was ~1 every 20 seconds, now ~1 every 4 seconds).

I plan on re-checking the gravity today possibly, to see if I need to pitch in one more packet of Red Star. Any other suggestions on how to get this gravity down before I rack to the secondary for a nice several month stay? I want to get down to at least ~1.020, which I could live with for such a big beer. Can I rack this guy into my 6 gallon carboy on top of a new smack pack of Wyeast 1388 for a second "primary"? I won't be able to re-oxygenate, but is this even an option?

I would not have pitched the champagne yeast that early, agitating the yeast and warming it up alone probably would have been enough. Belgians can get lazy and flocculate out before they are done, especially if they are too cool. I would keep agitating it daily until the bubbling slows and then take another hydro reading in a week.

Somewhere awhile back OhioBrewtus posted a pic of his Belgian ale with a Cartman figure sitting on the fermenter because he said it was giving him fits. Maybe a Cartman would help you too.... :D

You can't just pitch yeast into an existing beer and expect it to take off.

You need to make an ACTIVE starter (even with dried yeast) in order for it to pick up.

Agitated it more and took the temp up to 80 last night (the upper limit recommended by Wyeast for 1388) and it has taken off quite nicely. Hopefully a couple more days of this will help to finish it off. After that, its clearly time for a Cartman figure.

Agitated it more and took the temp up to 80 last night (the upper limit recommended by Wyeast for 1388) and it has taken off quite nicely. Hopefully a couple more days of this will help to finish it off. After that, its clearly time for a Cartman figure.

I have similiar problem with dubbel on Wyeast 3787 THG. How high can I go with this yeast? To 80F too?

I'm definitely going to keep checking the gravity, probably take a reading tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm definitely going to keep checking the gravity, probably take a reading tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed.

Well, my dubbel lost 2 points since yesterday. I'm surprised, because I see no activity on airlock :confused:

Latest posts

Back