Dryhop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atromic

Reaction score
I made yooper's 60 minute ipa clone last week that called for a .5 oz addition of simco, and a .5 oz addition of amarillo. I didn't have a scale so I just threw the whole oz's on a clean plate and split them up with a credit card.

I was planning on using the remaining .5 oz's to dryhop, but should I be worried about sanitation? The plate and my hands were clean, but un-sanitized... No idea about the credit card.

I have some cascades in my freezer, could I throw in a hand-full of that with an oz. of simco that I didn't handle?

The hop additions were:

1 oz. warrior (continuous, 1st 25 minutes)
.5 oz simco + .5 oz amarillo (continuous, last 35 minutes)

you don't get infections from hops. hops where originally a preservative .... and now a must have flavoring. you just don't get infections from them.

I'm not worried about the hops themselves, I'm worried about what could have been on my hands/plate/CC.

i really don't think you have anything to worry about. the alcohol content of the beer will be high enough to kill most of the bugs you need to worry about. the yeast have eaten most of the sugars any bugs would eat to multiply. the hops preservative quality would also impede any microbe growth if not outright kill them. i say toss the hops in and don't give it a second thought.

Latest posts

Back