Still bubbling after 17 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlegminitism

Reaction score
This is my first batch, an ale from extract, and i was originally planning on letting it ferment for 3 weeks and then bottling, but now i'm considering giving it another week just to make sure i don't raise my chances of having bottles explode by bottling before they are completely done fermenting. Is it normal for it to still be fairly active after such a long period? it started out fairly strong for 3 days, much stronger than now. It's 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon bucket, and the co2 that builds is enough so that at random points during the day if i am around, it will still bubble every 5 to 7 minutes. I can push slightly on the top and a little co2 will come from the airlock, and it doesn't smell contaminated, so i don't guess there's anything funny reproducing in there. It's got a little bit of a fruity smell, but i'm sure that's the english ale yeast.
Thanks!:mug:

Do you have a hydrometer? It's most likely done fermenting if it's been in the right temperature range, but there's no way to tell unless you take a reading. It'll keep bubbling gas out for a long time, your airlock won't accurately tell you if it's fermenting or not.

You have to take specific gravity readings. Look for an unchanged reading over 3 days, and fermentation is done.

Co2 can continue to bubble out of solution for quite a while after fermentation is done.

I have a Porter that is still bubbling once in a while after almost 4 weeks, I am sure you are fine! RDWHAHB!

I have a hydrometer but i was anxious to get my first batch started so i did so before i purchased it. Probably a mistake, and a testament to my impatience. But hopefully it will turn out ok. I think that it should be definitely done after 4 weeks so i will probably bottle then. It smells good, and i will taste it before bottling. Does anyone know if sweetness will die down if its aged longer? I think i have a little too much crystal malt (1.5 lb and a little less than half a pound of dark crystal, with 6 lbs dme). I have some northern brewers for bittering and fuggle for flavoring and finishing, so hopefully it will at least be semi-decent. I don't even have my first batch and i'm already dreaming of the next. Anyone have a favorite maibock extract recipe?

I have a hydrometer but i was anxious to get my first batch started so i did so before i purchased it. Probably a mistake, and a testament to my impatience. But hopefully it will turn out ok. I think that it should be definitely done after 4 weeks so i will probably bottle then. It smells good, and i will taste it before bottling. Does anyone know if sweetness will die down if its aged longer? I think i have a little too much crystal malt (1.5 lb and a little less than half a pound of dark crystal, with 6 lbs dme). I have some northern brewers for bittering and fuggle for flavoring and finishing, so hopefully it will at least be semi-decent. I don't even have my first batch and i'm already dreaming of the next. Anyone have a favorite maibock extract recipe?

Check the SG. Then check it three days later. If it's the same, you're at Fg, and it's safe to bottle. Sweetness doesn't age out, although the flavors may meld so that it's less prounounced. If you used 1.5 pounds of crystal malt, the beer will probably stay pretty sweet.

My maibock (I call it MYbock) recipe is pretty good, if you have lagering capabilities.

I would say your beer sounds fine. Nothing wrong with letting it sit for another week, if you have the patience. Hydrometer readings are definitely recommended. I believe the "sweetness" you are referring to might be suspended yeast, which will settle out after you bottle and age.

Your hydrometer is for every stage of brewing. When you're done boiling it, when you're waiting for it to ferment, and to make sure you can bottle it. If you've got a turkey baster, you can easily get a sample to check the gravity. Just sanitize anything that's going to touch your beer or be above it and don't dump the sample back in.

If you followed a recipe and you still have it, it will have what your starting gravity (SG) and your final gravity (FG) should be. Grab yourself a sample and see where you're at. Just don't spit in it while you've got the lid open and you probably won't infect it.

Back