Kolsch - Skim Krausen? - Cold Crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMaltPoet

Reaction score
So I brewed a Kolsch (my first one) this past weekend using WLP029. I have been fermenting at around 58 - 62 degrees. All is going well currently but I had some questions on fermenting/conditioning this beer. I have read that on a Kolsch you should skim the Krausen off the beer before transferring to a secondary and then cold crashing in the secondary. I have never skimmed any krausen off any of my beers, so do not know if this is necessary or if it will improve the quality of my finished product. Also, after I transfer to secondary I was just going to put my glass carboy in the fridge for a couple of weeks before I keg. I know I could probably just skip the secondary since I am kegging but I have always done this and like to let stuff settle out before I keg.

Anyway in short my 2 questions are:

1) Should I skim the Krausen off (if there is any) before I secondary?
2) Is cold crashing in a fridge at about 34 degrees for say 2 weeks sufficient?

Thanks guys. I have done all ales in the past and never had to ferment at such low temps and / or cold crash. I guess a Kolsch yeast is more of a hybrid then a true ale yeast.

I'm three days into my first first Kolsch too. I also used WLP029 and it is fermenting at 61 deg give or take a degree.

My plan is to give it about 3 weeks, bring it up to room temp (~68 deg) for two or three days to finish up, then cold crash down at mid to low 30's for a week before racking to a keg.

I don't intend to secondary and expect that the cold crashing will drop most if not all of the yeast. I once had a wit that still had krausen on top after 4 weeks but I just siphoned underneath it.

You only need to skim if you are saving the yeast. Just let it primary for a while longer and let the Krausen fall naturally. The colder fermentation temps required for a proper Kolsch mean that fermentation will be slower and take longer. Don't follow any rules/schedules you normally use for ales. The lower temps also mean there's more potential for diacetyl. To prevent this, leave the beer on the yeast for a longer period of time. If you want to secondary and bulk age in a carboy that is fine. yeah just give it two weeks and then transfer to keg. The longer you can condition further in the keg the better.

i'm a kolsch krausen skimmer. in my side by side tests i found the skimmed batches to have a smoother flavor, nothing scientific, just my perceptions.

It's the braun hefe or brown yeast that you want to remove. It has a harsh bitterness and can lead to a smoother tasting beer if removed. The normal colored krausen is fine. Usually most of the braun hefe clings to the side of the fermenter when the krausen falls if it's not disturbed. I've never done a side by side and usually don't have time to remove it. Good quality beer either way.

Latest posts

Back