Kegging Logistics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesnsw

Reaction score
I'm looking to get into kegging, and have a few questions.

Say I have 4 kegs, but only lines/manifold for 2 kegs. Could I serve beer from all 4, and just rotate the gas lines occasionally to keep them pressurized? Or is that more hassle than it's worth?

If I am force carbing a keg, I need to have the pressure higher. If I am just using a manifold, how does that affect the ones I am serving? Is that where a dual regulator comes in handy?

Thanks for your help!

If I am force carbing a keg, I need to have the pressure higher.

You can serve one keg and carb another at the same pressure. Roughly ~12psi, depending on your temperature and line length.

It will take a bit longer to carb, but it'll get there, and then you don't have to worry about dual regulators.

If you don't want to buy a bigger manifold you can use t's in the lines. You will be limited to the same serving pressure obviously.

I have a 4-way manifold, and a WYE, coming from the regulator. That means I can have 5 kegs, all at the same pressure. It's perfect for me, and I keep my regulator at 12 psi.

There really isn't such a thing as "carbing" pressure and "serving" pressure. A balanced system is all one pressure. However, sometimes people will want a couple of different pressures- say for a stout or "cask ale" and then a higher pressure for a wit. I like my beers all pretty well carbed, and at the same amount of carb, so one regulator works for me. If you feel you need different pressures, two regulators is needed.

Taking the kegs off of the gas and putting others on can work, sort of. the problem is that when you pour a beer without the gas on, gas can't fill the headspace of the keg and the beer will start to go flat fairly soon.

You could use a couple of "T" fittings, for under a dollar, to go to all kegs if you want.

There really isn't such a thing as "carbing" pressure and "serving" pressure. A balanced system is all one pressure.

I think when most refer to "carbing pressure" they are referring to the practice of "quick carbing" a new keg with a higher psi (like 30) then after 24-48 hours reducing it back to normal "serving pressure". I agree Yooper.....I just put mine in around 12 psi, wait a week or so and good to go.

1) It's a bit of a pain, but doable depending on the drinking quantity expected. If you go through one or two glasses a day, sure. I go through about one glass every other day, and I only have one connection among 4+ kegs (some, the wines, I keep out, and just fill a pitcher every so often). If you're going through lots for the night from all the kegs, not so much.

2) Easier to have manifolds, but it's possible to shoot one with high pressure every so often. I initially hit mine with 30 and take it off the gas, wait an hour (I'm off doing other stuff) then every so often just hit it with another 30. Eventually, I take my pressure gauge to find out where it's at, and then give it 20 every so often until it's where I want it. This is when I'm keeping it in the fridge anyways and not going to be touching it for over a week anyways, so I'm in no hurry to get it up to the 13-15 range.

I'd prefer having a triple regulator, one set for soda, one set for wine and one set for beers, but I make do right now.

Thanks, all. What is the benefit of a manifold ($$$$) versus a series of T's?

Back