Infused vodka and fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caps_phisto

Reaction score
Just wondering a few things about infused vodka and fermentation. Here is the scenario.

I have about 22 ounces of raspberry infused vodka I want to add to a rather large wheat beer. The wheat beer is 8.25. ABV, I wish to have a finished 1 gallon. By my calculation if I add the 22 ounces of vodka to 106 ounces of the wheat beer, I'll land at my gallon, but the ABV might be as high as 14%. According to Wyeast, the tolerance for the yeast strain is about 10%.

Now for the questions:

1. Will this 1 gallon batch even continue to ferment?
2. If so:
2a. Will there be any residual sugars in the vodka from the raspberries? Enough to Carb the beer?
2b. If there isn't sugar in the infusion, or enough to Carb the beer would the standard amount of prime tabs work or create bottle bombs?
3. If fermentation does happen can anyone guess at what wold happen to the raspberry flavor in the infusion?

Thanks for any answers you can provide!

tumblr_li6giyGy2x1qc0b6a.gif

Sorry, that's all by me...

Cheers! :drunk:

There will not be any residual sugars in the vodka. Add it at bottling and you will preserve the flavor.

Your yeast will die due to the high alcohol and it will not carbonate in the bottle.

Add some wine yeast at bottling. About a fifth of a pack will do fine. It will take some time to carbonate.

Back