Sweet Spot between secondary and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcJWaters

Reaction score
I transferred an IPA from Primary to Secondary 7 days in (Monday). Shortly thereafter, I went to Chicago on Business and got back home this morning to see by airlock bubbling once every minute or so.

I am FAIRLY new at this and am just wondering if I need to repitch yeast in fears that it might be dead. Thoughts?

Have you taken a hydrometer reading? Airlock bubbling isn't a sure sign of fermention, as many here will tell you. I'd let it go another week or two in secondary and then take a reading. If it's way too high, then I'd consider repitching. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. If anything, transferring to secondary has restarted fermentation, which means that your yeast is still alive.

ok. i think you may of rushed things. assuming i understand what your saying you racked from your primary to your secondary after 7 days? really you would wait a minimum of 14 before racking a beer anywhere. just because the bubbles stop doesn't mean that fermentation is over.

how long where you in Chicago?

Nothing wrong here. Some beers are ready to transfer after a week. Depends on the recipe, the yeast, temps, etc. More than likely it just wasn't quite done in the primary, but it's hard to tell without the specifics.

But RDWHAHB! It's in the secondary now and probably will need to be in there a couple of weeks. During that time fermentation will slow down and eventually not be seen at all.

Get out the hydrometer and take a reading. Take another reading 3 days later. If it hasn't changed, then you are ready to bottle or keg.

Nothing wrong here. Some beers are ready to transfer after a week.

i disagree. while its entirely posable primary fermentation can be done in 7 days and there is no harm in racking to a secondary at that point. secondary fermentation most likely wont be done yet and the more yeast you have to do secondary fermentation the better.

seeing as there is still bubbling in the airlock (not a fermentation indicator) i would say primary fermentation isn't done yet. a stop in the drop of SG is a true indicator of the end in primary fermentation and no racking should be done till that happens.

Back