Just dumped my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewInATL

Reaction score
Into the primary on New Years EVE! :ban:

I'm going to leave it in the primary for 3 weeks then take a reading before I bottle it up for another 3 weeks. I'm fairly patient so I don't have any problems waiting. Besides, I'm up to 30 bottles and having a great time collecting them :tank:

I'm in the Atlanta area (north) and have been cruising on the forum in the shadows for a while. I did notice there are quite a few Georgians around these parts.

Some background:
I ordered my first kit from northernbrewer.com, the "better basic starter kit." It came with a Better Bottle and everything I need (minus bottles and recipe). I highly recommend Northern Brewer!

Here's is the recipe that I ordered and is currently in the fermenter:

Kit Inventory

Specialty Grains:

* 0.50 lbs. Caramalt
* 0.25 lbs. Golden Naked Oats
* 0.25 lbs. Chocolate

Fermentables:

* 3.15 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup
* 1 lb. Golden Light DME
* 1 lb. Honey

Boil Additions:

* 1 oz. Challenger (60 min)

If you choose dry yeast:

* Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast. Optimum temperature: 57-70° F.

All kits also contain a muslin mesh bag for steeping the grains.

Here is a pic of the primary a day later:

3181345692_8ecc4463f2.jpg

It's pretty much settled at this point and I have a nice cake on the bottom. :rockin:

Happy Brewing! Cheers.
-Mark

Duder! I thought you just DUMPED your batch! :eek:

It's a good thing you didn't do that. Revvy would probably soil his drawers. :(

Glad you're into the beer, welcome to the obsession. :mug:

I know. A bit cruel but I thought it was funny :D

I bought The complete joy of Home Brewing even before I got my kit. AND I've been surfing this site and absorbing as much info as possible before registering. Thanks guys for all the knowledge. I'll gladly share my brew and knowledge when they're both ready to be shared. :tank:

Damn, I thought you dumped a batch. I read the title just as I was finishing a bottle of the holiday ale I thought would never carbonate and was ready to act like a newb and curse you left and right.

Well done! That picture looks purty!

@BrewInATL: Excellent :) The better bottle is an interesting concept for me. I'm just getting back into home brewing after 7 years or so of absence, and this must be a newer product that I'm not too familiar with. I have a leftover 5 gallon glass carboy that I'm planning to use as a secondary, but I might have to check out one of the 6 gallon better bottles as a primary...

@BrewInATL: Excellent :) The better bottle is an interesting concept for me. I'm just getting back into home brewing after 7 years or so of absence, and this must be a newer product that I'm not too familiar with. I have a leftover 5 gallon glass carboy that I'm planning to use as a secondary, but I might have to check out one of the 6 gallon better bottles as a primary...

You know, I was a bit worried about the glass vs. plastic but I came to the conclusion that it shouldn't affect taste. AND, if it does affect taste, not enough to risk my physical well being. I recommend the Better bottle! :mug:

Cheers brother!
-Mark

Duder! I thought you just DUMPED your batch! :eek:

It's a good thing you didn't do that. Revvy would probably soil his drawers. :(

I hope nobody gets a heart attack!

I just noticed your signature that you play bass. I'm a guitar player but I do own a nice bass that I bought when I thought I could learn that crazy instrument! It's a 1976 fretless Rickenbacker 4001 series. It's collecting dust now since I have my Les Paul. :off:

Duder! I thought you just DUMPED your batch!

It's a good thing you didn't do that. Revvy would probably soil his drawers.

I had already cut and pasted the link to that thread before I opened this one up....:D

Great job of raising my bloodpressure there..:D

Well played sir, well played!

:mug:

It's a 1976 fretless Rickenbacker 4001 series. It's collecting dust now since I have my Les Paul. :off:

Hey damnit! I came into this thread thinking you'd created some sort of beer biblical sin. Now I come back to find that you've been letting a fretless 4001 sit in a closet somewhere. :rolleyes:

You seem like a good guy but you're on the noob boat with that one! :D

Hey damnit! I came into this thread thinking you'd created some sort of beer biblical sin. Now I come back to find that you've been letting a fretless 4001 sit in a closet somewhere. :rolleyes:

You seem like a good guy but you're on the noob boat with that one! :D

I knew that was coming so I threw on the the protective gear! *ducks*

I really should do something with that Rickenbacker :(

Hm, do you think better bottles are actually worth it? I thought I read somewhere about one exploding ect, ect. I have an ale pale and wanted a second primary so I was considering another one, but if the better bottle is worth it, I may go ahead and get one. A glass carboy is a bit too expensive atm, a better bottle is slightly more reasonable, although still a technical splurge for me right now.

Hm, do you think better bottles are actually worth it? I thought I read somewhere about one exploding ect, ect. I have an ale pale and wanted a second primary so I was considering another one, but if the better bottle is worth it, I may go ahead and get one. A glass carboy is a bit too expensive atm, a better bottle is slightly more reasonable, although still a technical splurge for me right now.

I'm not sure how explosions are even possible unless you lock it down during primary fermentation? Which you shouldn't do anyway? :confused:

I dig the better bottle... but hey, different strokes for different folks, right? I would think that if a lot of people are having problems with them, it would be widely known through the homebrew community.

You know, I've been lurking a bit before joining Revvy. This post was specifically geared towards you brother. :p

Brew you are whilely devil you are, i thought the same as revvy and was gonna come in here and give you what for... but i figured it out... funny, we all have our momments around here

Cheers:mug:

I'm not sure how explosions are even possible unless you lock it down during primary fermentation? Which you shouldn't do anyway? :confused:

I dig the better bottle... but hey, different strokes for different folks, right? I would think that if a lot of people are having problems with them, it would be widely known through the homebrew community.

Maybe the explosion was more of the bung/cap blowing off or some such. I could be mistaken. Otherwise I'll take that as a favorable review!

Back