Lactose question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 1 pound of Lactose but it doesn't say how to use it. I've never used it before and do not know if it is a boil, mash or fermentation addition. Its a stout recipe,

4 pounds marris otter
1.5 pounds flaked oats
.5 pounds simpsons roasted barley
1 pound lactose

1oz williamette 60 minutes.

Thanks for any help.

Stouts are the most common place to find lactose in a recipe. It's used to sweeten it up a bit. I usually add mine at the last 15 minutes of the boil.

On a side note....what size batch is this? It looks too small the be a 5 gallon recipe.

i hear you can add it at the end of the boil, but you don't have to.

my last batch was a chocolate cream stout and I boiled it with my bottling sugar at bottling time. came out fine.

Lactose is an add anytime ingredient. You can add it to the boil or boil it up in some water and add it to primary, secondary, or bottling bucket.

1 pound of lactose is A LOT of lactose for 5 gallons of beer. Your grain bill does not look complete; is there more in there than just what you listed?

Many stouts are on the small size, guys. The recipe looks fine, if you like thick, sweet stouts.

Yes I guess it will work, I put it in beer tools and it will end up with 2.6% alcohol. I have to take lactose out because beer tools for some reason adds this to the fermentable. According to beer tools is is 37% like a sweet stout.

Back