preventing boil overs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is the way I do it.

1-digital thermometer w/temp alert alarm set to 207* in the wort while it's on the burner.
2-when alarm goes off stand by the pot w/one hand on the propane control and the other holding a spray bottle of water.
3-when the boil begins, lower the propane setting and squirt water until it settles down.

Have not had a boil over in way over a year.

I do that too, it also helps to remove some of the hop matter that gets stuck to the sides during the hot break. I really like the use of fermcap too.

I usually don't lower the propane though.

I haven't had one in a while using those methods. Spray bottle is a must though! Well, for me anyway. I start my boil with around 5.5-5.75 gallons with about an inch space to the top of my pot. Sometimes it's tough to prevent though with that small of a pot.

I brew in my garage, so if it does boil over it's not a big deal. Just grab the water hose.

And I've never used fermcap. I have always told myself to use it but I never do. I'm not sure why either, since I've seen so many success stories using it.

Paying attention is the best though. (Not saying you don't) Even though I still use a digital thermometer, I can tell when the boil is about to start and prepare for it. After the hot break, nothing but relaxing!

Latest posts

Back